Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Silent Hill 2 graphic graphic issues.

• Please log in to reply

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I have Silent Hill 2 on my PC, and it seems to work perfectly fine, until I get to the point where I obtain the flashlight. When I turn the flashlight on, EVERYTHING goes pitch black except for my character. When I turn the flashlight off, everything goes back to normal. The game does get choppy every once in a while, but not often.

My Dell XPSM140 laptop with Media Center isn't too good for gaming, but I do play games on it that work fine after adjusting some settings. I seem to have tried adjusting everything I can with this game, but can't find a way to fix it. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
how much RAM does your system have?

dflo404

dflo404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I've got 1 GB of ram.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
hmm...my thought was that your system ran out of RAM (which it uses to load maps) but that might not be the problem. my thought was that when you used the flashlight, the RAM was all used up, and the flashlight had a higher priority than the map.

what are you full system specs, as in CPU, graphics, everything

Edited by fortune82, 06 October 2007 - 09:44 PM.

dflo404

dflo404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Ok, here's everything you should need (I just used systemspec and copied it to here):

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180

Memory (RAM): 1016 MB

CPU: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.86GHz

CPU Speed: 276.5 MHz

Sound card: SigmaTel Audio

Display Adapters: Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family | Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD

Screen Resolution: 1280 X 800 - 32 bit

Network Adapters: Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport

CD / DVD Drives: D: SONY DVD+-RW DW-Q58A

COM Ports: COM3

Mouse: 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present

Hard Disks: C: 74.5GB

Hard Disks - Free: C: 40.7GB

USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.

Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Product Make: MXC051

AC Power Status: OnLine

BIOS Info: ATAT COMPATIBLE 110605 DELL 27d50b06

Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time

Battery: No Battery

Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0HC416

Modem: Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
i think i know the problem.

your system has integrated graphics, which pulls memory from your RAM. you ARE running out of RAM, because if the graphics card says, for example, 256MB, that means itt pulls out 256MB from your RAM. since you have a laptop, you cant really upgrade the graphics.

sorry

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Might be worth turning the settings right dopwn for that part of the game, Or turn practictacly everything off for that part of the game.

think i know the problem.

your system has integrated graphics, which pulls memory from your RAM. you ARE running out of RAM, because if the graphics card says, for example, 256MB, that means itt pulls out 256MB from your RAM. since you have a laptop, you cant really upgrade the graphics.

sorry

Yes they are right Bummers :)

dflo404

dflo404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Well thats unfortunate. I did try turning everything down to the lowest settings possible, but it still happens. Oh well, I'll either live with it or just try it on a different computer (even though the other one I tried it on made it unbelievably slow).

Anyway, thanks for the help.

-Dan