Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Resistance: Why XP Is Still So Strong

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Vista Resistance: Why XP Is Still So Strong... more

Still, PCWorld.com visitors don't seem to be in any rush to switch to Vista. Our traffic numbers show Vista machines accounting for just 10 percent of the traffic to our site during September (see "Vista vs. XP After 8 Months").

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 03 October 2007 - 04:04 PM.

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Xp is reliable, and doesn't require a super computer to run it. I'll upgrade to Vista when Service Pack 1 comes out, gradually.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Since Microsoft controls both Vista and XP through their EULA and their update system, the enduser seems to forget that all that he or she has bought is a lease on a lifespan determined by Microsoft, in fact both these products will then be replaced by Vienna. It is as if everyone has forgotten about window98se and that Microsoft chose not to support it last year. It is as if everyone thinks that they can remain on XP forever, but surely by now we should know that it does not work like that with Microsoft, one has to upgrade ones system, that is, ones product license, ones officeworks license, and get yearly protection too (another license) so does an enduser who remains on windows have any choice but to do as he or she has done since windows dos days, pay for the upgrade, buy a better computer to install the system, that is, or risk become unsupported on the hardware one has grown used to.

btw my laptop is a compaq persario 1200 from windows98se days, runs perfectly on linux, and I am helping the environment by not dumping old computers, I would just ask people to become more aware of leaseware tactics,

(feel free to remove this post if you feel it is unwarranted, no offense nor anything personal to anyone is meant by it)

Edited by fleamailman, 06 October 2007 - 11:58 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well it certainly is true, Microsoft is very strong with the whole EULA tactic... Once I understand linux distros more, I will gradually migrate. Although I'm going to have to get used to the whole emulator thingo so I can still play games :)

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
XP is a very good Operating System, I only have 1 machine running Vista, and it has alot of problems I don't have on the XP machines. XP was realeased in 2001 and it's now 2007, thats a fairly big wait in terms of major Microsoft OS's when you look at the jumps from 95 to 98, 98 to 2000 and 2000 to XP.
There is not a need to upgrade to Vista right now for alot of people, I only did it because its a new machine, which you would find alot of people would do as they upgrade to new computer's with Vista OEM's installed.
I think alot of people are afraid of change, I at first hated the switch from 3.11 to '95 because it was so much different and I was used to the layout.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
FPVDriF6, there is no need, and no one is asking you to, dump windows, the idea is just to go for dual boot leaving XP for games while doing the rest on linux, set it up so that your files are seen by both operating systems(mount the drives it's called), surf with linux, game with XP, forget malware(except where you want to learn about it)

Edited by fleamailman, 06 October 2007 - 10:36 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, it's another good option I have been considering, but fleamailman - you are on the ball! :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I feel people don't like change - what isn't broken why fix it.
As for me, I was building a new computer anyways so it didn't really matter, I personally wish Microsoft had only released a 64bit platform as to avoid confusion among many and give software engineers limitless possibilities in the sense that their software can now potentially be more demanding. We have already reached the limits of the 32bit OS on many fronts, it's time to move on.
Problem is most of us can't because it's really not worth the hassle, due to a lack of driver support (though it's growing as of late).
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm really thinking I'll upgrade to 64-bit Vista if/when I do change to Vista, I know my printer drivers are available, and for my digital camera, I can just pull the memory card out and into the memory card slot on my printer! It's just a matter of double-checking 64-bit driver availability before commiting to a component or peripheral purchase...

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Although it is more expensive, the retail version does come with both the 32bit and 64bit versions of Vista.