Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Windows Genuine Advantage Disadvantage

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The Windows Genuine Advantage Disadvantage... more!

In theory, WGA can distinguish between a new hard drive and a new PC. In reality, though, it sometimes gets confused and asks you to reactivate Windows--usually a painless chore. If reactivation fails, call Microsoft's Activation hotline at 888/571-2048. To speak with a human being, say "agent" when asked which option you want, and don't waver when the automated phone system attempts to convince you that you would be better off talking to a machine. The hotline is open around the clock.

Related: Massive Microsoft WGA meltdown fingers legit Vista and XP owners as pirates

Microsoft faces second WGA lawsuit

Ron

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Microsoft faces second WGA lawsuit

That one caught my eye. I hope they don't take it out though, because then how do we know our "victims" have illegal WinXPs?

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
They might not know they have an illegal Windows XP... And some might be aware of it, but not understand why it's wrong to have an illegal copy of Windows XP?

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Well... it's illegal, isn't that enough?

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Well, OK - but why use so privacy intruding tools such as WGA - have you known that it actually connected to MS's servers almost daily once, before someone sued them and they modified the program to connect like 1 time every two weeks?

I'm not protecting illegal users of XP, I'm just saying that there are other methods to promote the purchase of genuine software, such as lowering prices, advertising, etc.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
That makes sense :)