Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Help Please

• Please log in to reply

cas_canada

cas_canada

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I'm having problems with my graphics card as it seems to be out of date for playing a lot of the newer games. I'm not really sure what to do and could really use some help here. My current graphics card is an Intel® 82810-DC100 Graphics Controller... Do I need to update it? Buy a new one? I really need help. I visted the Intel site where I think I found an update, but I'm not sure and I don't want to download and install something that will mess up my computer.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Intel graphics are rubbish for playing games. They turn up on branded computers because the graphics solution is as cheap as chips.

Tell us some more about your computer and we can work out if it can be upgraded with a separate card (not all computers will let you do this). What brand and model do you have?

Richenstony

Richenstony

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Im not to sure hes using a desktop , i think hes using a laptop , and if this is the case there is no-room for a upgrade , the current gpu you have is ok for playing certain games , but you need something with a lot more powerl if you ever want to game in this generation , its almost impossible to make a judgment on this until you tell us your full specification on your system , a update will only improve your system by a slight amount but i still recommend updating if there are available updates .

Tony :)

Edited by Richenstony, 04 October 2007 - 04:36 AM.

cas_canada

cas_canada

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, and thank you both for replying as I really need some help with this. My computer is a desktop computer and here is some information on it... If you need to know more please let me know, I have to admit, I'm not the most computer savvy person around, I know how to use it well enough, I'm just not up to speed on all of the internal workings etc...

Processor: Intel Corporation
Celeron
Coppermine-128, Celeron II
733MHz
Mainboard: Dell OptiPlex GX100
Video Card: Intel® 82810-DC100 Graphics Controller

I'm thinking I probably need a new system as this one seems to be pretty old and out of date :) I was really hoping to avoid that for the time being if at all possible. I don't really play any complicated games, but it seems anything in 3D I cannot play... Eventually I would like to buy a newer system, just not at the moment, so if there is anything I can do to this current one, that would be great.

The update I was referring to earlier can be found here...

http://downloadcente...s...al&lang=eng

It was the only thing on the Intel site that I was able to find on the product I have and to be quite honest with you I really don't know if this is an update I'm suposed to install?

Thank you so much for your time and patience. It is greatly appreciated.

Richenstony

Richenstony

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok well.....

I have some bad news ...

You can upgrade your current gpu , but you wont be able to get anything to great as your motherboard only has pci ports .... and not pci express or apg ...... , with all that being said , you can still play basic games ....... but you wont find games like lost planet , or quake wars working your system , if you want to game greatly i suggest a new motherboard , new ram , and a new psu , and of course a new psu to power the new gpu , so basically a new computer lol ......

http://www.newegg.com - Usa only

http://www.dabs.com - uk only

The sites above are superb for prices .....

Tony

Gdluck

Your full system spec : http://support.dell....phics_and_video

Edited by Richenstony, 04 October 2007 - 09:56 AM.

cas_canada

cas_canada

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much for all of the information, although it sucks that it seems I do need a new system, I kind of expected that...lol. I appreciate your help and advice :)