Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Addresses

• Please log in to reply

Impulz

Impulz

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
There's probably a simple answer to this question but im not an expert in this field.

My question if any one could answer:

How do you bring up the details on your own IP address?

Is it possible to find out other people's IP addresses apart from anti-virus software when youve been hacked? (im not a hacker lol)

The moderators from this website would be able to determine my IP address for example, how is that done?

Thnx

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
To reveal your current IP address, open a command-prompt window. Type IPCONFIG and press enter. Every website (ie server) that you connect to needs to know your IP address otherwise nothing would get through to you -- no web pages, no files - nothing.

Impulz

Impulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

To reveal your current IP address, open a command-prompt window. Type IPCONFIG and press enter. Every website (ie server) that you connect to needs to know your IP address otherwise nothing would get through to you -- no web pages, no files - nothing.

View Post

Thnx pip, that worked and revealed! :tazz:

Is IP tracing in anti virus always un-accurate?
Because ive done a trace test in Mc affe anti-virus and it showed the location just out side Sydney not Adelaide where im currantly staying?

cobhcf

cobhcf

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
You wont be able to find out the exact location and address of a person using ip addresses. Your ip address will lead only to ur ISP. User details are confidential according to the privacy laws and ISPs wont let you accessit. But if you want to know the exact details of an IP address, you can start a law suit. ;)

Cheers! :tazz:

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
first, using ipconfig is not always the most reliable method, since that reveals your local IP address. There are many people these days accessing the internet through a broadband connection that is channeled through a router, sometimes this even happens with ADSL / cable modems I think. Thus a better way to check your external IP, the one that web administrators see, the one that's exposed to the web, is to check www.whatismyip.com (this is the simplest way, anyway).

Is IP tracing in anti virus always un-accurate? Because ive done a trace test in Mc affe anti-virus and it showed the location just out side Sydney not Adelaide where im currantly staying?

So you pinged yourself? IP tracing should never be assumed accurate, it is very unreliable and it's usually only good for mucking around with. Sydney is probably where the router you're connected to is. (What ISP are you using? In my experience Optus have been known you hook you up straightaway with distant routers which can really kill your pingtimes when gaming..)

If you really need to know where an IP originated from you need to file a lawsuit against the ISP and subpoena the customer's details who was logged on under that IP at a certain moment in time. :tazz:

Impulz

Impulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Lawsuit? woooa! :tazz:

Meaning as id would have to go as far as court ie: for an attack i need to report?
I think ill stick with the primitive results than hah!

So in that case, I know the question may answer its self as if you have the knowledge, id assume you could do anything, but how do hackers and pc wiz's find your IP address? and if they attempt to do illegal things, how do they block others from finding theyr own? (i bet this is a long and techical question yea?)

Im with TPG and yes its based in Sydney, Mc affe traced the the loaction as just outside Sydney.

Splintax, that ip finder website was great, the things you learn!
And on that note, is there any programs/websites out there capable of finding exact locations of IP traces?

Thnx Guys!

Edited by Impulz, 20 April 2005 - 04:32 AM.

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay then, if you wanted to report an attack this is what you want to do:
- Go to this site (DNSstuff)
- Paste the IP you want to trace into the IPWHOIS lookup field
- You should get some contact details for that person's ISP, including an abuse or staff email address
- Note the IP address and the exact time at which the attack occurred
- Email the staff with as many details as you have, they will attempt to prove the attack occurred and if possible shut down the offender's account
You would need to file a lawsuit against the ISP, AFAIK, to get the name and real-world address of the offender - that's what I was talking about.

Hackers and "PC wiz's" as you put it find out your IP address by tricking you basically, software like MSN Messenger or comparable IM software has you connect to the company's (i.e. Microsoft's) web servers and they connect to the contact you are currently chatting to, so they mask the IP. However many people on MSN have Messenger Plus! installed, typing (!IP) in MSN will reveal your IP if you have this installed.
Alternatively, they could get you to access a website where they have control or access to the server logs, which record all IPs that accessed that website.
The easiest way, however, would probably just be to get you to send them an email, the headers should contain your IP address however some webmail (Hotmail etc.) doesn't give you full access to the headers.

If you want to hide your IP, the only way to do it is with a proxy. This is a web server that makes all your requests to web-pages / servers / other computers for you, then forwards everything back to you. The proxy has your IP, but the people you are contacting have the IP of the proxy. Therefore the only way to find your IP is to get the logs of the proxy and find out who the traffic was being redirected to. This usually also requires legal action to be taken.

As far as exactly locating the origin of a request from an IP, like I said, unless it is an ISP, the only way you can find the location of it is by subpoena'ing the customer details from the ISP. If you do a IPWHOIS lookup like I suggested above, you should be able to find the exact location (i.e. street address) of the ISP of the user.

Hope that helps.

Impulz

Impulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Okay then, if you wanted to report an attack this is what you want to do:
- Go to this site (DNSstuff)
- Paste the IP you want to trace into the IPWHOIS lookup field
- You should get some contact details for that person's ISP, including an abuse or staff email address
- Note the IP address and the exact time at which the attack occurred
- Email the staff with as many details as you have, they will attempt to prove the attack occurred and if possible shut down the offender's account
You would need to file a lawsuit against the ISP, AFAIK, to get the name and real-world address of the offender - that's what I was talking about.

Hackers and "PC wiz's" as you put it find out your IP address by tricking you basically, software like MSN Messenger or comparable IM software has you connect to the company's (i.e. Microsoft's) web servers and they connect to the contact you are currently chatting to, so they mask the IP. However many people on MSN have Messenger Plus! installed, typing (!IP) in MSN will reveal your IP if you have this installed.
Alternatively, they could get you to access a website where they have control or access to the server logs, which record all IPs that accessed that website.
The easiest way, however, would probably just be to get you to send them an email, the headers should contain your IP address however some webmail (Hotmail etc.) doesn't give you full access to the headers.

If you want to hide your IP, the only way to do it is with a proxy. This is a web server that makes all your requests to web-pages / servers / other computers for you, then forwards everything back to you. The proxy has your IP, but the people you are contacting have the IP of the proxy. Therefore the only way to find your IP is to get the logs of the proxy and find out who the traffic was being redirected to. This usually also requires legal action to be taken.

As far as exactly locating the origin of a request from an IP, like I said, unless it is an ISP, the only way you can find the location of it is by subpoena'ing the customer details from the ISP. If you do a IPWHOIS lookup like I suggested above, you should be able to find the exact location (i.e. street address) of the ISP of the user.

Hope that helps.

View Post

That really opened some windows, thnx again, im really glad i found this website....sometimes at work during the day, all these questions pop up in my head, thousands of them that i need answers for, im gonna have to start writing them down i think....

Okay....after going to www.dnsstuff.com like you reccomended, i was lineked to the speed test site (http://www.abeltroni...a=uk&newlang=uk) and it also diplayed my IP address, this time different numbers thou! when i did another trace on mc affe, this time it actually showed Adelaide which is my real location??

Now, regarding others being un-able to find my IP using proxy, would you mind explaining how to go about doing this splintax? or would it be more advisable if i did soem research my self, perhaps you could link me with some good informative sites i could read and print off? : )

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well think about it - it will be a bit difficult to find a proxy service without paying, if you're not willing to.

I personally have no need for one, but apparently this is a good one:
http://anonymizer.com

Tell me what you think - and about writing questions down, feel free to do it. You could also add me on MSN Messenger for more direct help :tazz: (look at my profile) but asking questions is a great idea, I learnt everything I know that way ;) (except usually I ask Google my questions.. hehe)

ke6ziu

ke6ziu

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Thnx pip, that worked and revealed! :tazz:

Is IP tracing in anti virus always un-accurate?
Because ive done a trace test in Mc affe anti-virus and it showed the location just out side Sydney not Adelaide where im currantly staying?

View Post

There are several tools out there that can help you attempt to locate an ip address. On your machine, you already have several. The ping command tests the ip address to see if it's operational. Then, there's tracert. Use this to attempt to locate the address. On the internet, you can use DNS Stuff. They have lots of stuff to help you find the owner of an ip address. There are also other tools available on the internet that can help you get even, but I'm not going to help you there; you're on your own...Hopefully, this helps out.

Edited by ke6ziu, 20 April 2005 - 06:28 AM.