Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is This Legal?

• Please log in to reply

staticVoid

staticVoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I tried ubuntu but I keep getting this error message:

No RAID Disks
Check root= bootorg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules devices: cat ?proc/modules/
Alert! Does not exist. Dropping to a Shell!

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debain 1:1.1.3-3ubuntu3)
Built-in shell (ash) Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initrumfs)

when I installed wubi it said to manually download an iso file and put it in the /wubi/install directory.

remember I'm running windows 98SE.
any Ideas?

Edited by staticVoid, 07 October 2007 - 04:52 AM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
you won't be able to copy the XP from one computer to another, your different specs will get in the way, they(microsoft) think of everything, but your ubuntu didn't take so could I have the model type of your computer(desktop, laptop, harddrive size, ram, etc.,) I am now looking up your problem, there are over 350 different flavours(distros) of linux so I will see if I can find one that is exact, eitherway you lose nothing in continuing the effort and if you suceed well then your win/win(more like win/lin), thanks

staticVoid

staticVoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
the processors in both computers are intel im not sure what type exactly. RAM for desktop is 512MB and for laptop 256MB hard drive space for desktop is 80GB and for laptop 40GB. Im currently trying to install debian - I downloaded the netinstall iso and burned it to a cd and everything goes well - it retrieves all 677 files and then at the select and install it gets to about 70% and stops. this is the point where it is "configuring selinux-refpolicy-policy-targeted". This has happened twice. at the partioning stage I chose ext2 file system because ext3 just starts at 33% and doesnt move.
any ideas as to why its not installing?

Edited by staticVoid, 07 October 2007 - 08:34 AM.

staticVoid

staticVoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I got ubuntu up and running - I don't know why I never though about switching sooner - this is so much better so far even the pre-installed screensavers - wow. In my opinion this beats windows any day.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
lots of nice features on ubuntu, but remember to join the forum of the distro because their are bound to be questions that figuring out alone not easy whereas with other member's help they become simple, also remember to keep an eye on other distros too as it helps you judge your homedistro better.

staticVoid

staticVoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I spoke too soon. I'm beginning to see the downside already. like installing programs etc and I think theres a bug (or maybe it's just my copy) but when I click and drag the mouse too fast on the desktop it jump from side to side and I have to wait a couple of seconds before it returns. I would say it's better or at least equal to windows 98 but I don't think it beats XP or maybe it's just because I'm so used to XP.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
StaticVoid,
When you use Linux you have to have a completely Different Mindset.

Linux Is not Point and click. Even now you still have to play with some settings to get it to work sometimes. The reason why your mouse is probably jumping like that is because you do not have the drivers installed for your video card. It installs some basic drivers by default. What is the make and model of your video card?