Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building the best! comments please yearly project!

• Please log in to reply

Richenstony

Richenstony

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Mobo - EVGA Socket 775 nForce 680i SLI ATX A L

Ram - Kingston ValueRAM HyperX memory - 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB ) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR II x 8

gpu- XFX GeForce 8800GTX 768MB DDR3 PCIE Dual DVI TVo x2

psu- http://www.thermalta...w0171/w0171.asp 1500w

Cpu- ntel Quad Core Extreme QX6850 3.00GHz S775 8mb Cache

case - X-CRUISER-BK/420 APEVIA X-Cruiser Metal Case w/ Side Window-Black-

Sound- 7.1

harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB U100 x 2

dvd- LiteON 20X DVD+/-RW/12X RAM SATA black drive nero

Thats what i have so far.... :)

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Links to all the items you are looking at as well as the prices help us. I'm interested in knowing why you selected all top of the line parts and picked out "value RAM" to go with it. Kingston is good quality RAM but for a system that might be overclocked I would definatly get some OCZ or Crucial RAM.That PSU is way overkill but I'm sure you already knew. I recommend this PSU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817256022.. It is quite a bit cheaper than the 1500w you selected and will have no problems running your SLI GTXs.

I wouldn't recommend the QX6850 at it's $1000 USD price tag. I feel that the extreme series from Intel is always way overpriced. If you have the money to spend then it is the best CPU you can buy.

Edit: You are buying 16 sticks of RAM??

Edited by Titan8990, 04 October 2007 - 01:52 PM.

Richenstony

Richenstony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No no no ..... only 8 sticks of ram the x 8 is there as a mark to know im getting 8 .... sorry if i mis leaded you .... can you take a look for all those parts your recommending on British sites like dabs or cex...... i haven't got the money for all this thats why its a yearly build , it will take me a year to do this .... maybe less depending on how much money i put aside .... some of these parts may change as nvidia is bringing out there new series of gpus soon , and i want the best :)

Edited by Richenstony, 04 October 2007 - 02:11 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It is always recommended that you save your money and buy the entire build at once. Prices fluctaute as well as new hardware is released frequently. For example that X6850 costs $1000 USD as of now. A year from now there will be better CPUs on the market for probably half the cost (just speculation). Also a 32bit OS will only support up to 3.2 gb of RAM. I know that you are planning on gaming because of the SLI GTXs. If you descide to get a 64bit OS then you will have many issue trying to play games on it as well as finding drivers that work on the OS.

Your motherboard that you selected only had four slots for RAM. Some boards have six slots but it is not common, eight is almost unheard of.

can you take a look for all those parts your recommending on British sites like dabs or cex

I don't have any experience with those websites but if you post the links I will have a look.

some of these parts may change as nvidia is bringing out there new series of gpus soon , and i want the best

Not only is Nvidia releasing new GPUs but Intel and AMD are both releasing new lines of CPUs soon. They will be the AMD Phenom and the Intel Penryns.

Edited by Titan8990, 04 October 2007 - 02:39 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I would not worry about Nvidia's new cards now. The cards are going to be called the 8800 GT and is not going to be as powerful as the 8800GTX, no DirectX11 like rumors before. Also it is confirmed that they are only going to take up only one slot (not an extra slot for the fan) and have heard rumors that they overheat easier because the absent fan. Also I would wait to see the new Intel Penryns coming out.

Edited by jackflash1991, 04 October 2007 - 03:21 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are UK then overclockers http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ is the place to at least shop for the stuff if not buy it they have the best selection and are as often as not cheaper or the same as anywhere else when you take into account things like shipping.

I wouldn't actually recommend the best of systems you always want to aim for the top end of mid range at most, so I would cool the spending spree a little gets to the point you are just wasting money for no good reason. And your list is just crazy you have twice as much ram as can actually go on the board and a too powerful processor in a cheap [bleep] case with a seriously overkill PSU.

So CPU a 6750 or Q6600 is the best buys if you aren't waiting for the new CPUs, and either P35 or x38 motherboard to go with it not costing more than £150, get a 700-800W PSU of which their is the best selection of PSUs as its the most popular size now, memory get some better stuff and keep in mind motherboards only come with space for 4 sticks of ram unless its a board for something other than a personal computer. I would get either an 8800GTS 640Mb or a 2900Pro(I would go for the 2900pro with 1gb ddr4 and overclock it, with a small clock boost it's pretty much as good a card as you can get and its only a couple hundred quid or 170 for the ddr3 version). And then get yourself an Antec case or maybe a coolermaster or akasa look on overclockers for cases its what they are really good for. Big hard drive wise get a pair of 500gig 7200.11 but i would just get one two is nice but most people will never use 1Tb of space.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I think the 8800GTX is fine it is an expensive but it also does give you a good bang for you buck, not like the Ultras do. I would go with some good gaming memory from Crucial, OCZ, or Patriot and get 3 sticks of 1GB RAM if you want the best of the best but not so overkill that the OS will not recognize it. But all of the CPUs that have Extreme in the name are usually overpriced. I would either go with a Core 2 Duo E6850 if you want a little more power then the E6750 or wait for the Intel Penryns to come out. And as said before I would get a lighter PSU like nothing higher then 850W.

Edited by jackflash1991, 04 October 2007 - 05:03 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The Seagate 7200.11 series are starting to trickle in, I highly recommend you get one of those, as warriorscot has said, 1TB is just for bragging rights, anything over 750GB is overkill, way over.

The new GPU's from Nvidia were never rumored to be DX11, I don't know where you even heard this rumor as DX11 is likely just starting the development stages, never mind the hardware to support it.

I highly recommend you wait, you'll really regret it if you don't. With new GPU's being released this season from Nvidia and ATI (don't know what segment of the industry (low, mid or high) they are aiming for at this point in time). No one knows what to expect from Nvidia and I don't think we'll know much till the card is released (look at HD2900XT), I for one think it's over hyped, but I really think rumor sites are just making up BS on this card to get hits. In January 2007 Nvidia stated that they would be releasing a round of high end card in November then to be followed later on in the year will budget end cards.

While Intel will be entering the discreet GPU market, we don't know when, no point on saying they will be coming out in November.

Never get 3 sticks, get 4, since it seems like you have money to really burn. If you plan on overclocking be sure to get a stick that potentially has the micron 9HC chips, they overclock far better (cost is also much higher, you only need these if you want to push your system to the absolute max, I think it's a waste personally, your call though).

New CPU's are coming out in January from both AMD and Intel (should there be no delays).

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet (unless I missed it when reading this thread), but unless you have a server board, your not going to fit any more then 4 stick of RAM on your motherboard.

I highly recommend getting this all at once, after all what a good CPU if you have an onboard GPU, your just waiting a good CPU in terms of gaming as the onboard graphics will be a several bottleneck.

If you going with Nvidia stick with the 680i (x38 arn't worth the money and it cannot support SLI nor can the P35) , for that matter Nvidia is also releasing the 730i soon, pretty sure they will have this out for the christmas season because of the booming market, but i'm just taking a guess here.

Just to echo what has already been said get no more then a 850W PSU, to be honest you'll never need more then a 750W PSU, my only recommendation get one with 8pin PCIe cables (among other things), I'll suggest a PSU for your given price range (need a UK site though).

If your gaming in 7.1 suround sound you need a sound card, but again you need to wait as everything is moving from away from directsound3D, since the introduction of vista.

Just out of curiosity, do you even plan on overclocking?

James

Edited by james_8970, 04 October 2007 - 11:02 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

The new GPU's from Nvidia were never rumored to be DX11, I don't know where you even heard this rumor as DX11 is likely just starting the development stages, never mind the hardware to support it.

I guess that came out wrong. What I meant is that they are still going to be DirectX 10. Other people were saying that the new card would be DirectX 11 but I just found out like 2 days ago that the new card that Nvidia is rolling out will be an 8800GT DirectX 10.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I guess that came out wrong. What I meant is that they are still going to be DirectX 10. Other people were saying that the new card would be DirectX 11 but I just found out like 2 days ago that the new card that Nvidia is rolling out will be an 8800GT DirectX 10.

I think you might be getting confused with DX10.1, or someone's else post you may have come across :) I can guarantee you it won't be DX11.
I have been hearing many things from 8800GT to 8700GTS, people are all over the place, like I said in my previous post, I'm pretty sure rumor sites are posting junk just to hits for their sites, this card HD2900XT is likely going to be over hyped as I'm not even sure if Nvidia is changing the GPU die or if it's just going to be a revision with minor tweaks. Performance number that I have seen from this card are simply to high and unrealistic, also DX10.1 will be coming out with SP1 if any of you are curious. Only time will tell, at the end of the month we should start hearing some numbers leaking out.
Also that last post might have come off as a little rude, sorry about it.
James

Edited by james_8970, 05 October 2007 - 09:25 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
New direct X versions come out every 2 or 3 years sometimes more, 10 is just out so we will have it a while now, 2900XT is the one that is out but i wouldn't get it the pro is cheaper and with some tweaking is just as fast, their may be an XTX coming out or a 2950 you never know but AMD were concentrating on the mid end and laptop market(new laptop chips are the business from ATI and nvidia). I tend not to read rumour sites, hardware sites I trust and manufacturers sites are the best place to look if they havent mentioned it it isn't worth speculating.

I'm not an SLI fan and performance wise X38 and P35 as well as being cheaper they are great performance wise, and they are crossfire compatible and personally i prefer the way AMD/ATI is going with the dual cards and distributing the processing load to the cards(physics and AI) so that the cards can use all that usually wasted power to do computations they are good at(physics cards are just cut down graphics cards Ageia cards are essentially 6600GTs)

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
http://techreport.co...ussions.x/13313
and
http://techreport.co...ussions.x/13321

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

A great many rumors have already emerged about Nvidia's upcoming G92 graphics processor, but as the launch nears, more and more information is rolling out. In fact, the folks over at Fudzilla have now come upon a picture of a G92-based GeForce 8800 GT card. The card features a sleek, single-slot cooler, and Fudzilla says it's nine inches (23cm) long and outfitted with a six-pin PCI Express power connector.

I could list many sites myself as everyone seems to be talking about it on a number of forums, but because it's a rumor it has no significance. This card could very well come out, but information is everywhere, so take it with a grain of salt. It's not worth mentioning till, like warriorscot and I have already stated, manufacturers confirm something, or a possible leak has occurred (manufactures do this some times to raise hype about a product). Just a heads up, if a site ever uses inquirer or fudzilla as their source, don't even both reading it. Not sure if you are familiar with these sites, but they consistently release conflicting information and then try to clean up the conflicting entries by removing them from the site.

Also, warriorscot, unless you really have money to burn I don't believe X38 is all that great. It only has PCIe 2.0 on the two x16 slots as key things differentiating them from one another. The additional bandwidth wont be needed for a long time from now, possibly as long as 2 or 3 years. At this point in time, the x38 boards starting at $280, is just a rip off considering the performance differences between the two chipsets. Only way to suggest it is of course if you have money to burn and are crossfiring two high end boards. Thing is though, we are just beginning to exceed the x4 PCIe slots with newer cards, so P35 isn't at a huge disadvantage when enabling crossfire.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 October 2007 - 01:01 PM.