Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

poor FPS in gaming

• Please log in to reply

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
hello all!

I have been using Vista 32 bit since the launch and have been happy with it until lately when most of the games i am playing are running on a very slow FPS for my type of system I am running.

specs:
athlon 64 3800+
3.5 GB ram
120 HDD space
EVGA 8800GTS 320mb

when playing games such as Team Fortress 2 beta, half life 2, and half life 2 lost coast, and FEAR i get a constant FPS rating around 35 fps when my other desktop running XP with a weaker 8500 GT and an Athlon 64 3000+, runs them around 100 FPS.

I have heard that when Vista runs these games in compatibility mode for DX9 that it slows them down because its an emulation. I know that may sound like speculation but it may atleast be an answer? could anyone maybe shed some light on why these games perform so horribly?

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Windows Vista is terrible for gaming. I have what I would call "upgraded" from Vista to XP again for gaming. Where BF2 would stutter upon loading and randomly slowdown I now have 100fps almost constantly on all high including AA. Theres some things you can try, such as run ccleaner, disable aero, exit the sidebar and quit any open programs, also right click the game and choose run as administrator. I tried a lot of things but nothing really helped. All I can say to do is upgrade to XP to play games (maybe on a spare hard drive) and then Downgrade to Vista when you need the DX10.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
That statement (compiblity mode) does not apply generally. Certain games may need to have the dx 9 codepath specified. This is NOT done by running in compatiblity mode, but through switches added to the shortcut. Conversely games like the Crysis demo may require dx10 codepath to be specified to resolve "some issues".

Have you updated your nvidia drivers? updating could resolve your issues.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i have updated to the latest versions of my video drivers available on nvidia's website. and yes i have considered buying XP and adding a secondary drive to my system for gaming. also i do not think it is my PSU, i have run extensive tests and it works fine. i really do believe however that the emulated DX9 is causing the issue here. however Crysis im sure will run like a champ because of its pure use of DX10.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I was playing on a system with vista. Specs:

x2 3800
2.5gigs ram
nvidia 7800 256ram
vista 64 ultimate.

Turn off any settings that show fps. take a break away from it for the weekend (at least 2-3 days). Now, go back and play. If you have lag. Note what game and the circumstances.

I've played Bioshock, Medal of Honor: airborne, and Call of duty 2 on this system. The only time I had any "slow" performance was the occasional lag with Moh:A. That was mostly processor bottleneck. Unfortunately my system was a socket 939 and I have no upgrade path. Hopefully yours is socket AM2. IF it is, then you have some upgrade options.

Also, as to your comment about the power supply... A "good" power supply that can supply 18amps on the 12v rail with at least 620watts of rated power will be sufficient. ONly way to know what you have is to read the label on the ps. Without that info, I can't pass judgment as to its ability.

I seriousily doubt that your having "dx9" issues. Moh:a played at about 30fps at medium settings. I had no lag and the game ran smooth. IF I increased the settings, then I had lag. So that may be something to look at.

Also, have you applied any of the vista compatiblity patches?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932246
http://support.micro...kb/929427/en-us

I am also expecting sp1 for vista to be released around feb. That would be one year after vista's release and follow's MS's previous sp release patterns.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
yeah i actually have a socket 939 so ur correct about the upgrade path. and the psu is a thermaltake 600 watt.

tanda

tanda

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi, can I ask, with regards to Windows Vista, and Windows update, will/have the updates you mentioned been included in the automatic windows update, or do they have to be updated manually, will they be included in the sp1 update. I ask, because, if someone isn't over computer minded, like me, how am I expected to update Vista, if I am not told there is an update, unless I was, and have updated. Are the updates important, or will my PC run ok without them? Sorry to jump in on someone elses question.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
they will be part of the sp1. The patches listed are Hotfixes. In other words they are special fixes and not distributed normally via windows update. The first one might be listed as an optional update.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
hey starjax i tried those updates and hotfixes u linked me too. i tried installing them only to get the message "the updates are not meant for your computer" or something to that matter. not sure what that means but until then i will try to just tolerate the performance loss until sp1. thanks you though.