Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Good Laptop

• Please log in to reply

uglymaggot

uglymaggot

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hey Guys a friend of mine is planning on buying a laptop but she dosent know what make to in for (nor do i) it will mainly be used for programming C++,JAVA etc but will also be used for the regular stuff ie music movies games(simple games) etc whats the best company to in for & is a custom build is better

Edited by uglymaggot, 05 October 2007 - 08:01 AM.

Advertisements

Grind

Grind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
A good laptop is a 15.4 inch Dell Inspiron 1520...
When you are configuring your build make sure you get atleast 2 gigs of ram and some good harddrive space..
From what i see here your not a realllllllyyy high demanding gamer so a dell inspiron with 2 gigs of memory and decent harddrive will run you around eh.. 900 bucks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I'm not going to recommend a specific laptop but I can hopefully give you some advice regarding brands and other stuff.

(Please bare in mind that this is only my opinion, other people may well disagree with me!)

You probably won't go too far wrong with IBM (Lenovo), Sony, Dell, Compaq (HP), Acer, Fujitsu. Out of these, Dell probably offer the best bet for customisation (i.e selecting exactly what specs you want in the laptop). Sony Vaio's are extremely good but not that cheap. Toshiba make some very good laptops as well, but also occasinally some very bad ones!

Stay clear of Gateway, Advent, Philips. Again, this is just my experience, I'm sure there are plenty of very happy Advent/Gateway/Philips laptop owners out there somewhere....

Re. Operating system. Most laptops now will come with Vista. There are some exceptions, including Dell who offer a choice between Vista & XP. I'd strongly advise XP Pro (or Home) if possible. Avoid XP Media Centre & Vista for now. If you do end up going with Vista, then you really need at least 1GB or ram, preferably 2GB. This shouldn't be a problem as ram is extremely cheap at the moment. The main thing is to check that the ram can be upgraded (i.e added to) in the future.

Re. cpu - Intel Pentium or AMD are fine. Avoid Celeron if possible.

Hope this helps

uglymaggot

uglymaggot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
thanks for the advice i guess I'll go in for a lenovo i still got a few weeks before buying so any more input is welcome.

Grind

Grind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
You can go here and research some laptops...
http://www.notebookreview.com/

You can also go to other computer building forums such as eggxpert and get some info their...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Actually Grind makes a good point re. reviews... Once you've narrowed the choice down to 2-3 laptops that you are considering, it makes sense to then find a few independent reviews for each. It's also an idea to simply google the laptops and check that there are no known problems etc with them.

phoenix123

phoenix123

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
hey there,

it would be hard to say what laptop to buy without a specific budget

i would think that a custom build would be out of the question if you were only going to run simple programs i.e. office... etc.

but if i were you id take a look at the new acer aspire range... i have just bought one ... there are relitively fast... and a great buy

you would be looking at around £400 for base too £1400 for top of range