Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Switching from ATI 9800 Pro to nVidia FX 5200

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Apparently ATI gives me problems so I am switching to nVidia. However, I cannot set resolution to more than 1280X1024 with my monitor having native of 1680x1050. Their latest driver is not designed for 5 series, as it makes screen size more than I can see at one time, and have to scroll to see the rest of desktop.... :) Zo, what can I do?

Edited by bigdog1100, 05 October 2007 - 08:26 AM.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well what are you doing with your rig and do you have an AGP slot or PCI-E slot?

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
All kinds of stuff. I am mostly interested in playing Counter Strike, TFC, and EVE-Online without the SONY :) freezing.

And mines is AGP.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What? thats like switching an Aston martin for a ford focus, it is more likely something wrong with your computer than the video card the FX5200 is pretty much useless and it is no comparison in power to the 9800pro even working at half its potential the 9800pro will still beat a 5200 anyday, If i were you I would stick in the 9800pro and just reformat my system(ways to fix it without it but to be honest its just easier and faster) and install all the drivers from scratch(using ATI omega drivers).

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Ummm....With nVidia computer is not hanging. WIth ATI it does, even with new hard drive installed. SO if there is something wrong the it has to be motherboard or powersupply ot something else. ANd I don't know what to do. NO one seems to know the answer and I am at the point of despair pretty much.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With all due respect, has it occurred to you that your ATI card may be faulty?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That doesnt sound like a gfx card fault usually when they go they give out artefacts and off colours or just dont work they tend to give their own set of problems, the 9800 could be on its last legs it is fairly old but replacing it with something just as old and worse is pretty daft the 5200 is useless and to be honest you can't even give the things away these days let alone sell them surprised you got one.

Sounds more like the power supply it is what I would suspect the 5200 is a lower end card and draws very little power compared to the 9800 so the 5200 might not tax the PSU as much thus indirectly relieving the problem i would borrow and try another PSU(that has sufficient wattage and you know works) or try getting a working 9800 or more powerful card to try to eliminate the PSU as the problem.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
The ATI Card is a replacement to recently failed one. With the old one, I had snow all over. Anyway, I have Sony and Sony comes with special equipment, and nothing else fits. I will try installing new Power Supply externally.

In the mean time, what do you think about PNY GeForce 7600 GS 512MB AGP? I saw one on sale.

Edited by bigdog1100, 09 October 2007 - 07:46 AM.