Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Puzzleing Bench Mark Results

• Please log in to reply

09mlb86

09mlb86

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
ok first off I built this:

CPU: AMD Atholon 64 X2 5600+

Memory: 2 x 1 Gig. Mushkin 800 Mhz with EEP Profiles (4 latency)

Graphics Card: HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro (Core Clock 590Mhz) Memory clock (about 1400Mhz)

Mobo: Ausus MVP

PSU: Muskin 550 W

HDD: WD Cavier SE16 250 GB

Running 3D benchmark 2006 Basic It scored a low 6400 (averaged after 6 tries). I was exspecting to do a lot better. My Vista Score Card has a base score of 5.3 (the processor being the bottleneck)

plays freedom fighters on highest setting w/ no problem...

Are my exspectation too high or is there something wrong?

09mlb86

Advertisements

09mlb86

09mlb86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
If i used the catalyst controls or the BIOS to overclock my graphics card or memory, it scored worse.

sry forgot to add this

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello,
Do you have the latest Cataylst (7.9).
These will optimize you card and increase frame rates (and "score"), however synthetic benchmarks mean nothing. Get a game such as Company of heroes, World in Conflict or Lost Planet and run the benchmark tool. Then google to find other peoples results. If you use the demo, only compare your results to other people using the demo. The demo is normally a earlier build of the game, thus not fully optimized for hardware, so you will normally receive lower scores then people with the real thing.
As long as your computer is performing at what you would like, it doesn't matter.
From what I have heard from other people these tests can vary by as much as +/- 500 points. I personally have never run any synthetic benchmarking programs because realistically, it's not worth it.
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it, as it seems to be performing on high settings, although it won't on never games (assuming you play at high resolutions).
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 October 2007 - 05:52 PM.