Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best 500GB Sata 3gb/s hard drive

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I'm looking to get a new 500GB Sata 3gb/s hard drive to record TV onto via a TV tuner card. It also might be used for gaming, if my raptor runs out of room. That being said, which is the best hard drive fitting the aforementioned criteria for these purposes?

I'm thinking about this Western Digital, mainly based on the fact that I've had good experiences with their products before.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The 11th generation of Seagate hard drives are trickling in, so I'm assuming reviews of the drives will being to surface on the web as well. I'd hold tight for a week, maybe two and then make a decision, I personally find the 10 generation Seagate very noisy when seeking.
What I like about Seagate, is that they offer a 5 year warranty where as their competitors offer a 3 year.
To me, it's a major draw, but it's up to you.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 October 2007 - 09:33 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
If you want to compare the performance between different hard drives then take a look at this chart: http://www23.tomshar...om/storage.html

Edited by jackflash1991, 06 October 2007 - 09:29 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hard drives aren't a big performance aspect even really fast ones offer tiny performance boosts if any at all, hard drives are more about reliability, I would go for a drive with the longest warranty or one of the better server grade hard drives most companies offer rather than going for the fastest as they are all so similar the performance differences are tiny.