Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CORUPT DVD DISC

• Please log in to reply

CMN

CMN

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi.

Since about Feburary, I have been burning my photos and videos from my digital camera onto a DVD Multisession Disc with Nero 7. Today I burnt some documents onto a DVD Data Disc, and then went to continue my multisession data disc with my photos and videos. I set them all to burn, and through burning, it said "Burn Process Failed At 8x". That's never happened before on that disc, but with others yes. So I go to the disc, and thought I'd finalise it just in case anything goes wrong. Nero says the disc may be corrupt, and cannot read it. So I take out the disc, clean it, put it back in and try to view it through the My Computer>E Drive. It takes ages, freezes abit, then says the disc may be corrupt like Nero did.

I will be so upset if I cannot restore almost a year's worth of photos and videos! Please help!

THANKS!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Multisession recording is usually reserved for special applications such as Kodak Photo CD. Archival storage is best accomplished using single session recording, or packet recording if files are frequently appended, updated, or otherwise changed. Important files that had been saved to a multisession disc may not be accessible at a critical time if the disc has not been finalized, or may not be readable in drives that are not multisession capable.

Its perfectly possible when buring a multisession CD for anything to go wrong for any number of reasons. The TOC (Table of Contents) may become corrupt, which means as far as Windows is concerned, there's nothing on the disk.

This may be of help, but there are no guarantees. Please put this down to experience for next time, keep more than one back-up and don't rely exclusively on CD/DVD media.
http://www.infopacke..._data_on_cd.htm

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I have had this problem to recently after nstalling Nero 7, It gave me some error similar to yours. I then put the CD into my laptop and it works like a charm, but if i put it in my desktop it doesnt read the disc at all. Try it and see? Maybe it works, maybe it doesnt. If you have another PC i mean, go to a friends house or something like that if you dont. Also i uninstalled Nero 7 because it did that to a few of my discs and i got the [bleep] in with it. They seem to add more and more features but the reliability goes out the window. I went back to Nero 6 and havent had problems again :)

CMN

CMN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi.

Thanks for your help guys, but unfourtunately, I put the disc in my laptop and it read the first session of burning only. From Feb1-Feb9. Not much! :) Is it possible to finalise it on another PC? Because I think it has to be finalised on the original PC that burnt it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It doesn't need finalising. You need a program that can scan the physical sectors of the disk regardless of what state Windows thinks its in.

CMN

CMN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
^Do you know any programs that can do this? Thanks!