Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restarts at Windows Login Page

• Please log in to reply

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the wireless card. That seems to have fixed the "crashing" problem, but now my wireless connection goes in and out. I think I just need to replace the wireless card with one that would work better with the new router that I just purchased (Belkin N1). If you disagree, please let me know.

On another note...my computer runs extremely slow. I think it just needs to be cleaned up a bit. I regularly run a few anti-spyware programs--e.g., Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, Norton. Should I start a new topic? Or can you help me with this also?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Totally frustrated,

The B band in wireless is not used much anymore. If you got a N router and you want to take full advantage of its capabilities I would recommend getting a new network card. As for your slow computer there are a few things that we can try before I send you over to the Malware folks.

If you haven't already downloaded ATF Cleaner, you can download it from HERE.

Once you have it downloaded, run it and you will see a window similar to the following:
(Please note that only on XP and Vista machines with it enabled will the Prefetch option not be grayed out)

Now click on the Select All checkbox so that every checkbox listed is filled in with a checkmark.
(You can uncheck any of the items you don't want to have cleaned)

Now click the Empty Selected button. It will take less then a minute and you will receive a window stating that the cleaning is done and how much space was freed up.

A video tutorial for using this program can be found HERE. (Compliments of dsenette)

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Okay, I'm gonna purchase a new network card today and hopefully that will at least solve my internet connection problem. Now, I just need to get my speed back. I've run the ATF Cleaner but the computer still runs slow.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We now need to make certain that this issue is not Malware.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from someone on the Malware Team, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Tuxmaster,

I've followed your instructions and posted in the Malware Forum. I really appreciate your help in resolving the crashing issue. Thanks a bunch :)

Totally Frustrated

Totally Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello Tuxmaster,

I think all of my problems have now been resolved. Again, I really appreciate your assistance. :)