Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just installed a new driver and having problems!

• Please log in to reply

alyssa

alyssa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, first off let me start off by saying I'm new to this board, hi. I recently installed a new driver for my dell windows xp computer. The original first drive the settings is set on cable(the white little box). So after installing the new driver, I put the settings on slave. I thought it would have fixed the problem I'm having but no such luck. :tazz: Before I would turn on the computer and the Dell logo screen would be stuck and it wouldn't boot. NOW.. it loads to a blue screen(it still has a place to turn off the computer and asks to log into user accounts) but the problem is.. the user accounts are gone. There is no place to get in the main page(start.. programs.. etc) Can anyone help me? Please!!!

Advertisements

alyssa

alyssa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I set the 2nd drive settings to slave.. it looks like I meant the other drive. Sorry about that. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If the first drive is set to cable select, you should change it to master.

Cable select works on some systems but not all, and it requires a special cable that may or may not be in your machine.

And in order for it to work, both drives should be set to cable select and they have to be placed on the cable in the correct order or the wrong drive becomes the first drive.

The master should be on the END of the cable, the slave in the middle then the motherboard connector needs to be in the mainboard

alyssa

alyssa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I switched the new driver to the top of the tower and the original old driver second. Both driver settings are on cable, and nothing has changed. Still a [bleep] blue login screen with missing user accounts. I have no way of getting into my computer, it's so frustrating. I tried the f8 during loading and tried to get in using safe mode but it wouldn't let me in either. Is there any hope that my important information could possibly still be on the computer, and not deleted?