Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

YAHOO Mail Connection

• Please log in to reply

ggjd10023

ggjd10023

• Pip
  • 4 posts
For about 2 weeks I all of a sudden could not log into Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer. It would attempt to connect and eventually it would time out with no error message. I knew my passwords were correct because I could log in from other computers.

And then today I tried logging in through Microsoft Outlook and it worked! - yet still doesn't work work through IE. It always worked until about 2 weeks ago - I checked most of the IE Option settings I have read about - what gives?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try to install this and see if it helps

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

ggjd10023

ggjd10023

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks but it still doesn't work even with the suggested download :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what's changed in past two weeks?

in meantime, in IE, choose TOOLS< INTERNET OPTIONS > and go to privacy and security settings and set bot to default.

Also, download Mozilla Firefox, and try it with that....just to test if it's a browser issue

ggjd10023

ggjd10023

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Setting the IE Options to Default also didn't work - and it is DEFINTELY a browser problem since I am able to get inot YAHOO mail on the same computer usinf Microsoft Outlook without any problem . . . it is just that I never used Outlook as a browser - this is sooooooo frustrating!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I should have said browser setting problem....that's why I would like you to check with firefox...if it does it there, we can simplify our search for an answer

ggjd10023

ggjd10023

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry - I am confuded - why would I download yet another browser (firefox) when I know I can get into Yahoo mail through Outlook - there is already one browser on this computer that does work - why can't we check those settings? I really don't like downloading additional program that I don't wind up using - it always winds up causing problems.

As to what changed in the last 2 weeks? - I don't think anything significant - but perhaps I am forgetting about something.

Thanks for trying to solve this :tazz:

askmemyname

askmemyname

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently installed a router at home. And switched to cable.

Turns out it was MTU that was my problem. Because I could access many other internet sites, but yahoo! mail would return a blank screen.

Setting the MTU on the ethernet interface on my PC fixed this problem. I had to set my MTU to 1490 bytes (Telstra Australia BigPond ISP limitation). Other people have to set it to 512. (Note this is an advanced task in windows, you have to google around for a while and try and work out what it is in the registry you need to change to force the MTU to be set to a lower value).

Note that setting the MTU in the router wasn't sufficient.. it was my PC that had to have the MTU changed (I was running Windows 2000).

Seems yahoo! must just discard fragmented IP packets.

bartenders35

bartenders35

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi there, I have the same problem and with all due respect, I do not see why I need to install a new browser. Somewhere else in the forum, it is suggested to change settings for Active X or settings to receive IP packets.
Does anyone know where to do that?

Thanks, B

bioye

bioye

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i cannot login to yahoo mail using mozilla or mozilla firefox. on my computer at home (firefox 1.0.3), i keep getting the verify password page, at the cafe, i am signed in but the page is blank with done below using firefox 1.0.2. however, using IE 6 at home, i can access yahoo mail perfectly

bioye

bioye

• Pip
  • 2 posts
it may be a bug with firefox. i keep trying doggedly and my yahoo mail home opened, i clicked the inbox link so many times before a page opened successfully.. which means firefox is just not reliable, since i did the same thing so many times and the result was different later..

bartenders35

bartenders35

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi ggjd, gerryf, askmemyname...so what is your name? ;) and hello bioye,

I have some good news. No, excellent news.
Here's the scoop.
Having had similar problems with Yahoo!, I sought help here, talked to friends and emailed Yahoo!
So, messing around myself due to interest, I updated my virusdefinitions.
Check! Scanned and BOOOM..some bloodhound thing appeared really from Nowhere. Rebooted my PC.
Scanned again and BLOODHOUND.EXPLOIT.6 was still in da house!

Went from START to ALL PROGRAMS, then clicked on MS update.
For some reason it did NOT work at first.
After a few times shutting down ( when I leave home) and starting again, I noticed that MS was updating. Did not realize at first SP2 was quite a chunk to download.

SO! done that and rebooted. Scanned with updated Norton ===> Clean!
RIGHT away logged into Yahoo! ===> YESSSSS :tazz: all works fine!

Since I don't trust all these systems and updates nor....MYSELF ;) , rebooted again and again....and ALL seems to work fine!

In my opinion (majorgeek here) it's not the browser, but the OS, supporting the browser. So IE or Firefox, sure needs an update, but first MS needs the update and GOOD ONE TOO! ( apologies to askmemyname, no experience with Linux)

Anyways, HOPE this helps other geeks. Anyone who knows a website to learn more about Active X and its settings, will be much appreciated.

Special thanks to Marinegeek59, who offered his help.

Thanks again all,
Good luck,
B