Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Speed Dying

• Please log in to reply

bmullecker

bmullecker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I have a few questions related to my internet. I'm relatively new to the forums, so please be easy on me, heh.

Anyhow, I recently purchased this new system, a Dell XPS, and everything runs very smoothly on it.
In the bundle, I replaced my Linksys router with a Netgear (not what I wanted, but it came with it and seemed like the better of the two routers).
The internet speed was running fine, except for that my wireless connection was randomly disconnecting, not connecting at all, etc. on my laptop.
That didn't bug me that much, because I didn't use the laptop for anything more than browsing the web for a few minutes before I went to bed, seeing as it sat in my room.
So, it's been about a month since I had the computer and suddenly, the other day, the internet speed just dropped.
I was previously downloading such stuff as torrents at 350k+ and am now downloading them at 1-4k (Sidenote: It wasn't the amount of peers to downloaders, there were about 6 peers and 1 downloader).
That confused me a bit, and then my family was complaining about having problems with internet speeds recently when doing anything, such as browsing the web or going on e-mail.
I was skeptical, seeing as I never had problems with speed before and the DSL that we're running on is one of the best that Verizon has to offer.
Well, a few days later I noticed it happening on mine as well. Dial-up speeds when doing anything from changing web pages to downloading simple products online.
(Just for an example, I downloaded a Virus definition today and it downloaded at 16-18k on Firefox's download manager).
I ran Hijack Fix, virus scans, spyware removal, registry cleaners, etc. Nothing seemed to work, and it's still running as slow as ever, if not slower.
So, what I'm wondering is if anyone can help me with my problem; could it possibly be the router or is something else the problem here?

Thank you, in advance.

Also, something simple - how do I change my displayed time on my taskbar to register as regular time instead of military? It just changed itself today to it and I have no clue how to get it back.

Edited by bmullecker, 09 October 2007 - 08:11 PM.

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Well First off this may just be a problem with your ISP Connection issues .ect ( As my internet provider is crap :))

But it could also be a virus or something that completley steals your internet accses to send spam ect

Even thoe you have run antivirus and stuff i still recomend posting in the malware removal just to check (And it might be worth doig from all your pc's if you have time)

I wouldnt think its the Netgear router as i have 3 and they are great and work fine (When you get them working)

Anyway you could try your old router to see if it is the netgear one

If it is it might just be some settings on your router

Hope this helps

SpuD