Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Couple questions

• Please log in to reply

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I recommend this then:

PSU: http://www.overclock.......&subcat=103

Video Card: http://www.overclock.......&subcat=927

RAM: http://www.overclock.......&subcat=145

That will make a sweet gaming upgrade. There is no need to spend more than as that will bottleneck at your CPU already.

You may want to take some measurements of your case. The 8800 GTS is an oversized card. It will take up the area of two PCI slots. It is also longer than standard ATX boards. Your next step down in cards that I would recommend would be the 1950pro: http://www.overclock.......&subcat=404

Edited by Titan8990, 13 October 2007 - 07:52 PM.

Advertisements

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hmm is there any huge differences between the two cards u have shown me here? i read the reviews of the cheaper one and it sounds pretty nice, in your opinion is it worth buying the more expensive one than that one?

Edited by NField, 13 October 2007 - 09:04 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Only if you plan on upgrading your CPU/Motherboard/RAM in the future. Otherwise that card would be limited by CPU speed. They are both very nice cards for their price. The 8800 GTS is one of the top performers out and is also DX10 compatable which the 1950pro is not.

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
For the 1GB RAM shall i put it in with the two 256mb ones too ? or take the 256mb ones out. I think i will buy the PSU and the RAM first and install them and buy the card later, will that be ok ?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, that won't be a problem. I didnt know that those were two sticks. You might want to consider getting two 512mb sticks so your RAM can still run in dual channel mode (pending that it already is). Either way it will function perfectly fine with your existing RAM.

Check back with us before you buy the card. With the way that prices fluctuate I might have something different to recommend weeks or months from now.

Edited by Titan8990, 14 October 2007 - 06:58 AM.

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yeah when i ran the Crucial test , it indicated i had two 256mb sticks along with 2 free slots for 2 more

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
http://www.overclock.......&subcat=557

so would this be ok ?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, but I can't vouch for the brand like I can the Crucial.

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Well is there any Crucial ones with the two 512 mb's so i can keep it in dual mode? Thanks If not the sticks in the computer dont have to be the same brand as my 256mb ones do they?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Crucial is a very good and well known brand. They don't have to be the same brand, however it's recommend that you have the same model number to avoid the possibility of the RAM not working together. Buy a two stick kit for the dual channel mode.
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 October 2007 - 12:57 PM.

Advertisements

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
well i attempted to put the RAM in the computer today to no luck , what i see inside is what i guess is one of the 256mb sticks in 1 slot, then nothing in the second slot, then another stick in the 3rd and nothing in the 4th, i tried to put the new cards in the 2nd slot and 4th slot which they did fit but on putting the case back on and turning on the computer it would turn on but the monitor did nothing and i heard no bleep from the computer at startup. Any suggestions? Thanks

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I have not been watching this thread closely as titan has been responding to you and I have been rather busy.
Could you give me your motherboard's model number.
Try pulling the old stick(s) out and putting the new ones in alone. Both sticks should go into two slots that are the same color.
James

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Where do i see this ?
Is this it ?
Motherboard Name - Asus P5GD1-FM (FSC OEM) (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)

Also i tried putting them into the two black couloured slots as the two blue ones where being used

Edited by NField, 22 October 2007 - 04:29 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Good job :) Exactly what I wanted.
The ram should work. Though like titan, never heard of the brand.
Can you pull the old stick out and only put the new sticks in, put each one into the blue slots.
Then do you know how to up the voltage on your motherboard?
James

NField

NField

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
as the brand was OCUK i guessed that was the initials of the site OverClockers UK ?
and i have no idea on upping voltage of the motherboard.
I also have a PSU to put in after this but strangely i could not get the big plug to come out with the old one so for now iv kept the old PSU in

someone has said that maybe 1 or both the chips are dead, could this be the case? i will try both singally today or tomorrow to check it out.

Another edit : managed to install RAM now, just gotta get that PSU in now , at the moment though, will higher RAM improve my fps?

Got the PSU in now , i will come back when im ready to buy a Video card ! thanks !

Edited by NField, 25 October 2007 - 04:21 AM.