Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless/Wired Routers?

• Please log in to reply

HelpNeeded911

HelpNeeded911

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I need assistance with creating a wired and wireless network from home. For the record, I do use a cable internet provider.

DOWNSTAIRS SETUP
For my work, I am required to use a wired router (a D-Link DI-604) that currently connects my laptop (Dell XPS M 140) and desktop (HP L1706).

PROBLEM
My roommate needs internet access upstairs. So, I ordered a wireless router (Netgear Gateway Router RT 311) to provide internet access for the other computers in our home. So, I tried having a connection where the cable modem and wired router are directly connected and the wired and wireless routers are connected. First and foremost, would this type of set-up even work? My laptop (when not connected with the wired router), now indicates that a WiFi connection is present. However, when I go to view the wireless connections available, no connections are shown.

In advance, THANK YOU!!

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Yes that type of connection /setup should Work as i have a router(Wired to 2 Comps) and a Wireless wiredof the Router (with2 laptops) So yes it should work

Its probally just your settings on the wirelessrouter

Try tweaking them E.g Visability and passwords ect..

DO NOT CHANGE SETTIGS YOU DO NOY NO ABOUT!

I say this because if i rember correctlythere should be a menu down the side saying what each settings does (But i may be wrong because i have never used tht router before)

It will be some visblilty setting or something like that

SpuD

HelpNeeded911

HelpNeeded911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I was unable to locate information regarding settings on the wireless router (Netgear RT311). I tried to access the router's menu options by typing in the IP (or whatever it is) in my browser. However, after I submit the username/password, the entire page shows "Page cannot be displayed" messages.

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Are you connected to the wireless router? If so need to be. Best to be connected by the cat5 cable vs wireless then try it again. Also can your roommate connect to the router and use the the internet?

HelpNeeded911

HelpNeeded911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I just wanted to clarify. Are you recommending that I connect the wireless router directly to the cable modem, and then connect the wired router to the wireless one?

I would need an exceptionally long cable to connect her computer (upstairs) to the wired router...

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
No I thought that you needed help changing the settings on the wireless router. To do that you must be connected to the router. Also Why do you need the wired router? You should be able to plug the wireless router into the cable modem and plug your computer into that router. Also instead of having a wireless router a wireless access point is better here. You should be able to pick one of those up at any computer store.

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
see this access point