Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME Start-up Issues

• Please log in to reply

Mizress

Mizress

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everybody.

I'm trying to help my neighbor figure out what's wrong with her system. She has Windows ME. It will start up, but it immediately goes to the 'disk check' screen. It never reports any errors and won't allow me to do a thorough check--just standard. The mouse works at this point.

Then, it'll go to her desktop. Sometimes her desktop background will show; sometimes it won't. Soon after showing the desktop, the mouse stops working. I can't even use the keyboard's 'START' key to show the Start menu. From that point, I can't do anything except push the power button to turn it off.

I tried pressing the escape key during the start-up to see if I could either start in safe mode or find some information on what the problem is, but I'm not given any options to start in safe mode and about the only information I got was this:

Reserved Memory: None
Pentium Processor/MMX - 166 MHz
Level 2 Cache: 512 KB
Video Memory: 2MB
System Memory: 32 MB (EDO)

I thought about restore cd's, but she has something important on her computer that she needs to recover and besides that...her cd drive opens but doesn't work and neither does her a: drive--and they haven't worked for a long time (even before this situation).

Is there anything I can do short of calling in a professional to fix it? If so, what?

Your advice is much appreciated!

:tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
tap f8 to get to safe mode then back up those files.

I would then visit the forum in my signature, follow the directions at the top, then post if needed.

Mizress

Mizress

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks.