Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook express and outlook 2003 address

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have a problem with outlook express and outlook. On outlook express 6 I have removed and installed a dozen times and the address book won't load. It said to reinstall outlook express. Well that don't work. I started up outlook 2003 and save a copy of the pst file with contacts and imported them into outlook and it goes through the motions and when I open up the address book nothing is there. Has anyone have a idea. I have tried every trick I know. Thanks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure I understood exactly the problem in 2003. however, with Outlook, if you want to bring back pst files that you saved you have to copy the pst folders and paste them into Outlook folder as described below..

To backup Outlook: docs & settings > user > local settings > application data > Microsoft > outlook. copy abd backup outlook.pst

To reinstall pst files: Install back to the same location.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
The pst backup is already in outlook were you decribed but fails to have anything in my address book when I open it. I have imported this untill I'm blue but no contacts in address book. I have done this a thousand times in the past with wab, pst, coma seperated, and more and they all worked. I'm at a loss.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since you say that you imported the files: did you import the pst files through Outlook? I mean, did you open outlook, clicked File > Import etc?

What I would like you to do is a different thing. Just copy the file and paste it in place like you would do with every folder that you wish to transfer to another location.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
That was done too. I tried that and left a second copy of it in outlook. I used the import , I used the copy/paste. The data is in place but outlook won't load it in the address book. What I did do was import it to outlook express and then transfer it from there to outlook and that worked. I have no idea why copy/paste/import did not work but the end results was I found a way in. Thanks Bruce

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am glad a solution was found.