Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Drives

• Please log in to reply

cinanddav

cinanddav

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The computer is a HP Pavillion 763n, running Windows XP Home. Neither of my manufacturer installed CD drives will work. This is the error message I am getting. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers, and restore, to no avail. Can you help me?

HP DVD Writer 200j

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

HL-DT-ST CD-Rom GCR-8481B

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Edited by cinanddav, 11 October 2007 - 01:38 PM.

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
have a read at

http://www.geekstogo...XP-t142390.html

SYMPTOMS 3 last one on page

SYMPTOMS 3
After you remove either compact disc (CD) recording software or other software from your computer, your computer may exhibit the following behaviour:
• In My Computer, there is no access to your CD-ROMs.
• In Device Manager, the following error message appears in connection with any CD-ROM device that is part of your computer system:
The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device
(Code 31).
• Device Manager displays the following error message:
A driver for this device was not required, and has been disabled (Code 32 or Code 31).
You may also receive an error Code 39 message that indicates that the driver is corrupted.
• Device Manager displays the following error Code 19 message, which means that the registry returned some unknown result:
Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)
• You may also receive the following error message:
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this behaviour, follow these steps:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor. NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.
7. Restart your computer.
STATUS
This is a known issue that can occur when you remove Easy CD Creator version 5.01 or earlier or DirectCD version 3.01c or earlier. This issue may also occur with Easy CD Creator version 5.01 and with DirectCD 3.01d or later.
MORE INFORMATION
There may be other third-party CD-writing software products that exhibit similar behaviour. Some or all of the troubleshooting steps in this article might apply if such a product also adds entries under the UpperFilters or LowerFilters value in the registry, either by adding its own filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values outlined in this article that begin with:

cinanddav

cinanddav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you thank you thank you. and Bless you too. This has been driving me crazy. Deleting the two files worked. :)

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Your welcome

It’s a common problem that one if I was you I’d keep a link to this page

http://www.geekstogo...XP-t142390.html