Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)

• Please log in to reply

YoukaiHiei

YoukaiHiei

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey there. This is my first time actually posting here so...yeah haha XD fun stuff.
Pretty much, here is what happened.

My computer had been running strangely for about a week, nothing too annoying, just very slowly.
The one morning I tried to boot it up and it would not load past the Windows XP "Loading" screen.
So I then tried booting into safe mode to see if that would work. It started to load the drivers and all,
but freezes on Mup.sys and then after about ten minutes it shuts down and reboots, continuing the cycle.

After that, I did some research and (stupid me) finally figured out how to turn off the automatic system
restart on failure thing. So, I did, and then now instead of just looping into infinity, I get the blue screen
with this error:

STOP C000021a {FATAL SYSTEM ERROR}

The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000026c (0x000000 0x00000000)

The system has been shut down

So upon seeing this I got my Live Knoppix CD and put most of the things that I'd like to keep on my HD on an external one that I have,
just in case I do have to format...which I could do, however as I am posting here, formatting my HD is my last resort. So yeah, thats about as complete as the description of my issue can get, at least from me at this moment :)

Ah...I also think some useful information might be that I have a Windows XP system cd and have attempted the repair install, however the option is not available. I also have a Windows Vista Ultimate cd that I bought to try and see if I could just upgrade anyways, and that option isn’t available either for some reason. I've also got...the Ultimate Boot CD For Windows, if that'll be any help.

So I guess thats it. Thanks for reading :)

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It appears that a particular program, Roxio Goback, is what causes this error code in many cases. It is always some kind of software conflict. You can read up on it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316503.

Since you are unable to get into safe mode to uninstall this program (if that is the orgin of your BSOD), a refromat may be needed. We will try a chkdsk first though which should do the trick.

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

Edited by Titan8990, 12 October 2007 - 02:50 AM.

crc

crc

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
You can read up on it here: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;156669

Last known good configuration
If the previous steps in this article do not resolve the problem, start the computer by using the last known good configuration. To start the computer by using the last known good configuration, follow these steps:Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
1. Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
2. Click Restart, and then click OK.
3. Press F8 at the indicated time:
• For an x86-based computer: When a screen of text appears and then disappears , press F8. (The screen of text may include a memory test, lines about the BIOS, and other lines.) There may also be a prompt that tells you when to press F8.
• For an Itanium architecture-based computer: After you make your selection from the boot menu, press F8. There may be a prompt that tells you when to press F8.
4. Use the arrow keys to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.
5. Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER.

YoukaiHiei

YoukaiHiei

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
None of that worked.
Chkdsk says my HD is okay though.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you tried last known good configuration as well as chkdsk /r from the recovery console than I would say reformat. Double check to make sure that any important data is backed up. After the reformat remeber to reinstall your chipset and video drivers.