Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If it is under warranty you might want to give them a call and tell them that you think your memory is bad.

Try running the dell built in diagnostics to do so.

Turn your computer on and tap F12. Choose boot to utility partition or diagnostics. The computer will run a series of tests. If you get any errors post back. If you don't get any errors you do want to go to the utility partition. You want to run a custom test on the memory. Post back if you get any errors.

Advertisements

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
o.k., will do and I'll get back to you with results, thank you

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, I ran the Diagnostics. As Far as I can tell, there were no errors. Now there is a grey box that says booting Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition. Press any key to continue.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I pressed returned and now have the main menu. There is a custom test key available, shall I choose it?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Yes and then after that choose the test for memory and click run tests.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
o.k. am doing that now, thank you

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Here are the results...

All tests pass. Data Bus Stress, MATS, March A Test, WCMch Test, WCMATS Test

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
That is not good news. If your system is in warranty you will have a hard time getting your memory replaced. What is the make and model of your dell system?

Edited by tuxmaster, 24 October 2007 - 06:46 PM.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
It is an Inspiron 1750

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Dell Does not have A Inspiron 1750? Might want to give dell a call see if you are in warrenty and see if you can get them to replace your memory based upon the Blue screen ID.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and enter the service tag number of your computer

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'm not sure if they have the A Inspiron, will call them and in the meantime go to that site to enter the service tag number, I'll let you know what they say, thank you

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, I did talk with a Dell tech. They did several things. First, they had me hold the Fn button and start the computer, then they had me run the diagnostics which showed no errors, then they had me run the Quick Test instead of the Custom Test which did show an error, something about the CD drive (it said there was a disc in there when there wasn't). Then they tried to have me turn off the computer and restart it by holding the Ctrl button while tapping F11. It kep loading to a screen saying that it had been closed down improperly and to restart in Safe mode, Last known good configuration, Windows etc... Every time we tried to restart it, it went to this page. So they had me pull both memory chips from the back and replace each one, separately in each slot and try to restart it. Then they had me remove the hard drive and try to start it. It wouldn't start without the hard-drive. It would start correctly with one memory chip, but not the other. They decided that not only is the memory bad, the motherboard is also evidently bad and they are sending out a service technician with both parts to replace them. It is under warranty so that is fortunate. At one point, they also had me remove the battery and start the computer with the ac only, not sure why. Anyway, terminal disease, happy ending. You guys were very helpful and correct, it was memory. I told them we ran memtest and failed miserably so even tho it had a clean initial diagnostic scan, they were vigilant with the memory issue. Thank you sincerely, you guys are great. Sharon

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :) ...and thank you for letting us know the outcome ... :)