Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error when restarting computer

• Please log in to reply

diop

diop

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. :)

Okay. This is what's happening.. When I reboot (or sometimes when I just boot), my computer shows this error, right after the BIOS screen:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

And sometimes this is the error I get:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
Windows root\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I can still boot though, I just press the power button on the cpu tower and shut it downs there. Then after waiting for a few secs I open it up and then sometimes it goes through.

It's just annoying and it doesn't make you feel at peace when you know there's something wrong and there's a possibilty that it won't boot anymore.

Anyone to shed light on this?
Thanks for reading.

Edited by diop, 12 October 2007 - 08:01 PM.

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Does it boot into safe mode? Maybe tried a system restore if you recently installed some other software that could be maing it do this?

I also looked up what hal.dll is, and it is a file that communicates with the hardware of your pc, which apparently can become damaged, and can be fixed via the recovery console.

Edited by Adrenalin, 13 October 2007 - 12:57 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hi Diop and welcome to GeekstoGo.

Usually for this issue I recommend following the instructions in my Knowledge Base for recovering registry from snapshot.

http://www.repair.tu...org/kb/entry/1/

It seams you have a different issue though.

Try rebuilding the boot sector using the following information in the link below.

http://www.repair.tu...rg/kb/entry/20/