Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about Internet IP Address

• Please log in to reply

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
If the Internet Cafe is using Static IP, example: 192.168.0.1 to 0.22

Then the IP Addresses would be the same to others, example:

Workstation 1 -> Internet IP Address: 128.164.25.354
Workstation 2 -> Internet IP Address: 128.164.25.354
Workstation 3 -> Internet IP Address: 128.164.25.354
and so on...

If Dynamic IP, example: 203.164.23.15 to 23.30

The IP Addresses would be different from other computers,example:

Workstation 1 -> Internet IP Address: 205.264.256.123
Workstation 2 -> Internet IP Address: 205.164.268.346
Workstation 3 -> Internet IP Address: 128.164.25.354
and so on...

My question is Internet IP Address is different from Static and Dynamic?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
The WAN IP will show the same for all stations on the LAN. Most LANs use dhcp for address assignment. You seemed to be confused also as to the difference between a Static IP and a Dynamic IP. Static IPs are assigned by the ISP to a connection so that the IP address does not change. This is handy for those who need to run servers or need remote remote access to machines or devices at that location. A Dynamic IP is assigned from a pool of IPs assigned to a ISP. This is convenient for the ISP because they don't have to hard code each customers into their servers. So every time the connection is lost on the network the potential of a different address being assigned when you reconnect.

Neither a Static or Dynamic IP address have anything to with the addresses on the Local Area Network.

Edited by silverbeard, 13 October 2007 - 12:49 AM.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I'm using Static type...Why if I'm using Static the Internet IP Address same with other computers? And why If I'm using Dynamic the Internet IP Address always change?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
With a dynamic IP if you lose your connection for any reason you may not get the same IP when you reconnect. The IP pool that your ISP uses will assign the first available IP in the pool to the connections as they are made. You only get one at a time.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
What the example IP Address of Dynamic?

192.168.0.1 --> Static is like this right?

How about the Dynamic?

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Follow up question:
What are these Server IP Address and Client IP Address?

I'm one of the Administrator in our forum then I looked into my profile then there was a Hostname which is the same with Clien IP Address.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

How about the Dynamic?

ISPs are assigned blocks of IP addresses. Example of a block: 70.102.101.1 through 70.102.141.256

This range of IPs is 10,200 address. The first address and the last two address are reserved (sometimes more) for networking tasks. This leaves 10,917 address potential that can be assigned by the ISP. So depending on the number of customers on the block and the number of disconnects in a given moment the odds are that a different address will be assigned upon reconnection to the network.

Now as to 192.168.0.1, this is a private address. There are three ranges of IPs that are set aside for private networking. These are used for setting up Local Area Networks. 192.168.x.x is the most common of addressing systems used. It has an address pool potential of 16 bits (65536). 192.168.0.1 is usually assigned to the default gateway of the Local Area Network. This is where the DHCP server for the LAN is. The workstations behind the router are the DHCP clients. Servers serve, clients recieve.