Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Desktop

• Please log in to reply

MAL19

MAL19

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My computer shut off on me while i was surfing the net. Consequently when it rebooted and i logged on none of my desktop icons showed up and there is no task bar it just black. I am unable to use anything or access any of my programs. I am currently running in safe mode on my Administrator log on. I've had numerous problems with pop-ups, spyware, infectious files found through my anti-virus and spyware blocking programs. How do i fix my regular profile and get the desktop back?

Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
as a test, create a new profile give it any name.

Boot into that...does it work?

MAL19

MAL19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It successfully created a new account, however i still do not have access to my personal documents, music files, recently installed programs etc. Is there anyway way to transfer those to this new account? My personal log on account is still inaccessible.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
And if you log into your own account in safe mode, what happens?

MAL19

MAL19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It says safe mode in the corners but everything is still blank... nothing comes up at all. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in your old user account, hit control-alt-del ... does task manager load?

If so, click "new task" then type regedit...does the registry editor start up?

MAL19

MAL19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes the Registry Editor starts up. Im not computer literate at all -just so you know! I do have a HijackThis log if you would like to see it? Is my computer shot and my files permanently gone?