Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

burning avi file to playable CD

• Please log in to reply

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I have Roxio Easy Creator 6. I want to burn an avi file, so that I can watch it on my DVD player ... but I need to burn it onto a CD because I have only a CD-RW. I have tried to burn the avi file; I can watch it without problem on my computer; but when I put it in the DVD player, it says Unrecognizable format. How do I get this avi onto a CD that can play anywhere?

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look for a make a Video CD option in Roxio

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Can I add a new version to my previous post? I bought Nero version 7.10; and also bought a new DVD-RW. I still want to burn a movie in avi format. Can I burn this file to the DVd and then play it on the DVD player? Does Nero convert it to proper format, or do I have to do somehting special first? How to go about this? I tried using the "Nero Start Smart" but by the time I get to the burn button I always get the error message "Transcoding of videos failed." What to do?
Thanks
paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start smart, click make dvd movie, click make movie, add the file, click more, click video options, click dvd video, set quality setting to standard play, set sample format to automatic, set encoding mode to 2 passes - high quality, close the setting box

Add the file to the timeline, click export, name the file, click export

Post what happens, the file will be in Nerovision - Exported Video, and needs to be 4.37GB or less when transcoded, which could take a while