Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Network Security

• Please log in to reply

sortofageek

sortofageek

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have a home network which has wi-fi that I connect a laptop to and a desktop using direct connection via an ethernet cable to the wireless router. I have a couple of questions:

1. My router has a firewall built in so do I still need a firewall like zonealarm or windows firewall to be safe?

2. When my laptop was not connected to the internet nor was any other computer connected wirelessly to the network and there was no internet activity at all on my pc my LAN connection icon in the task bar was still lit up on both sent and received squares does anyone know why that might be?

3. Is BitComet safe to use?

4. Do I need Spybot search & destroy and ccleaner if I have windows defender?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

sortofageek

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) No but its recommended.
2) The light indicates a connection is present, it would disappear if the computer was disconnected or powered off.
3) BitComet is a P2P program and the site offers no support for such programs so no comment.
4) Windows Defender is not very good, I wouldn't even give it the time of day.

sortofageek

sortofageek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Neil, which anti spyware program should I use then?