Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dos boot?

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
how do I boot to dos without creating one of those stupid disks?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The closest you can get to that, is repeatedly tapping the F8 key just before it first boots up into XP, and then choosing the menu selection (I think) COMMAND PROMPT ONLY, and that boots to something like DOS.

I think you're looking at Windows running under DOS, instead of DOS running under Windows. The DOS commands are all there; type HELP and see the variety of familiar commands. XP contains no DOS of its own.

Good info here: Windows NT, 2000, XP, and Vista users.

Ron

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
well what I was trying to do was copy my main HD on to a back up one, and while in windows you are not able to make a complete copy.

its ok I think I will just install xp on the back up and move the saved files over.... its easy that way :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sometimes, easy is best. Good luck.

Ron

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
the problem with that is that you will be paying for a second license for your second machine, you could just keep your XP files either under a system running linux, or on an external harddrive either of which works out a lot cheaper than constructing a backup computer using XP, it just depends on what type of files you are trying to back up

Edited by fleamailman, 15 October 2007 - 07:50 AM.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
No no no.... lol

I and trying to install a bigger main HD, but cant just copy from one disk to another without a dos boot disk, so I am instaling a copy of XP on the bigger drive, useing ide cable moveing all the files i want to keep to bigger HD and then formating the smaller one removeing it and will have 2 60gb drives in and one 40gb that I am moveing to a much older computer :).....

Its all gravy and I am almost done with it now ....

THanks boys and gals