Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Smaller Monitors Render Pages Funny

• Please log in to reply

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Okay I have a 1680x1050 monitor here, so I never noticed the problem here.. The background / container for my text and tables flow off into the page's background instead of having a border and white background.
http://freewebs.com/intega
And yes, I know it isn't valid. That is because freewebs is semi-evil and forces a tracker onto your site. I plan to fix that soon.

EDIT: Just noticed that if all of the page connot fit into screen, that this happens (you have to scroll to see the effect). I think this is because of my height of 100%. How do I go about fixing this?

Edited by I.D.S. Administrator, 14 October 2007 - 05:43 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Either you have fixed the page, or I'm not seeing your problem on a 1024x768 res 17-inch monitor. I do not get any scroll bars what so ever.

I also do not show any coding problems via HTML Tidy for the main page. You do have 4 errors upon validating the HTML with the W3C. CSS validates OK.

I understand the problems with FreeWebs as I have been doing pages for someone using paid hosting there. If you use paid hosting, you should not be having problems, but I understand their change to new version of SiteBuilder is the cause.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 14 October 2007 - 09:53 PM.

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Either you have fixed the page, or I'm not seeing your problem on a 1024x768 res 17-inch monitor. I do not get any scroll bars what so ever.

I also do not show any coding problems via HTML Tidy for the main page. You do have 4 errors upon validating the HTML with the W3C. CSS validates OK.

I understand the problems with FreeWebs as I have been doing pages for someone using paid hosting there. If you use paid hosting, you should not be having problems, but I understand their change to new version of SiteBuilder is the cause.

Ron

This happens on the pages that actually scroll. Click onto the Base64 link please (within the site).

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Your scroll page is longer than the normal fixed size. I have a 1400x900 monitor and on the page you mentioned I have to scroll down.

Unless you set your size to the lowest common denominator you will always have SOMEONE who will have to scroll. So technically your height could be no higher than 600px (I would say 480px but no one really designs for 640x480 any longer).

Anything that exceeds that will scroll UNLESS you add the no-scroll option within the CSS, but then any thing that overflows will not be visible.

You can set a fixed location, but again, you are still constrained by the lowest common screen height you are willing to design for.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Added to your CSS:

* { margin: 0 padding:0 border: 0; }

Modified in red:

body {
text-align: justify;
height: 855px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
margin-left: 0px;
margin-right: 0px;
margin-top: 0px;
background: #788686;
}

Viewed changes in Firefox and IE and white extends to just the bottom black line. Did edited out all the errors on the HTML page for Base64.

If you want no scrolling at all on these pages, then you will have to move table data for bottom two tables to one side or the other and make use of a wider layout. Attached files have been modified to have no scroll bars at all for at least a 1024x768 res, 17-inch screen.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 15 October 2007 - 12:10 PM.