Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

S-Video problem

• Please log in to reply

Chill-Gamer

Chill-Gamer

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi all,

first i want to say, that this is a REALLY Great forum!

anyway, my problem:

i have a new laptop: HP Pavilion DV9313ea with Nvidia geforce 7600 go gfx card with vista home premium
anyway, i live in the netherlands, and i want to connect my laptop to my tv.
but it gives me a black and white screen, i tried it also at friends, but it keeps giving me black and white..

does anyone know how i can fix this?

help is MUCH appreciated :)

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
have you downloaded all the latest drivers and software for the video card. usually they have a utility you can download from the manufacturer that allows you to setup the output to the tv.

Chill-Gamer

Chill-Gamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
yeah, downloaded all the latest drivers, tried everything i possibly could, but it just wont work :)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
This link has some basic info to try. let me know how that goes.

Also are you using a straight s-video cable from your computer to your tv or is it converted somewhere?

Chill-Gamer

Chill-Gamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
i allready tried that too, doesn't work either.. i just dont get what the problem is.. and im using s-video from laptop to yellow output inTV

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
We will get to the bottom of it. Can you give me the make and model of the tv, so I can check the resolutions.

Also have you connected it, and tried to go through all the resolutions and refresh rates just to see if anything changes.

Edited by jaxisland, 15 October 2007 - 12:48 PM.

Chill-Gamer

Chill-Gamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
well i dont know the exact one, it's an pretty old telvision.. its a Philips and it's from the Netherlands (Europe) it doesn't work on NTSC, it works on all PAL, but Grayscale.. even when i connect it to my new Sony HDD Recorder, it stil gives me black and white.. i also have HDMI, but my tv doesn't have HDMI.. so that wont work.. BUT my s-video cable has 4 pins.. so i dont know if that is a problem.. but i have used it on my older laptop.. and then i had no problems..

but i really appreciate you helping me :)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No I believe that there are 4 pins then a flat one, on s-video if my memory serves me correctly.

So the tv doesnt work on color?

Chill-Gamer

Chill-Gamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
the tv is color, and i use an old laptop to use on the screen, cause that one works, only my new laptop doesn't work on the tv :)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ahhh got ya, so we know that at least in grayscale on computer does work, does the working laptop use the same cable?

Chill-Gamer

Chill-Gamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
no the laptop has that yellow thing that the tv has got too.. so an other cable

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I am sorry I dont have a better answer for this, I seem to be out of ideas. It just may be an incompatibility with a new card and old tv. If I can think of something I will let you know. Im sorry :)

Chill-Gamer

Chill-Gamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
no problem.. thanks for your help though, really appreciate it :)