Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD, cannot get into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

BiederCorn

BiederCorn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a BSOD everytime I turn my computer on. XP will go to selection screen, and no matter if I choose safe, normal, etc, it will go to a brief blue screen with a system 32 error, and then shut down. I do not have the original XP cd, but have a reboot cd. Problem is, this error occurred before I was able to back up some very important files, and I do not want to lose anything.

The error codes say that I have a missing file for my basic XP files, and I do not know how thru xp to get the xp cd to run so that I can patch the misisng file. I am used to other os where I can get into dos and run the cd. What do I do?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Usually you can contact your computer manufacturer and they will send you a XP cd that you can use to do a in place repair.

Also if you really want to get the files off before something happens, what I would do is remove the hard drive from your computer and set it up as a slave on another system, then pull the files off, then we can put it back in your machine and help you from there. At least you will have your files before they are lost permanently.