Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lag on cod2.

• Please log in to reply

Ashbash123

Ashbash123

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi guys its me again,

This time i got a problem with my fps on most games, i thought my graphics card was playing up so i went in bought another one.

I have upgraded from a nvidia 7600LE to a Radeon x1550 sapphire card. Yet no improvements to FPS at all, the same happens with wow, it still aint much improvement in fps i am getting around the 40fps mark most of the time. What could be causing this? ill paste my dxdiag results as well.

Surely a gfx card from such a high spec replacing one from such a low spec there should be a improvement of some sort but nothing.

What ever help can be given will be much appreciated.

P.S dxdiag results are on the attachment.

Attached Files

Edited by Ashbash123, 15 October 2007 - 01:00 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, the bad new is that you didn't get the upgrade you wanted. the 1550 is essentially a straight across equivilant to what you had before. The only benefit I see is that it has more memory. 40fps is about what I would expect with dx9 enabled for cod2. I you can always play with dx7 enabled instead. However, with WoW you don't have that option.

I just did a quick check at newegg and ati x1950's are running around 125. However these appear to be PCI-express. Looking at agp, I just don't see anything that I would recommend.

Ashbash123

Ashbash123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I was actually posting on behalf of a friend, i currently myself have a gfx card which is a radeon x8xx series card, i reach 200 fps. I also only have 1.5gb of PC2700 ram with a pc which is 10 years old.

It does not make sense to have a gfx card which has shader 3 on it which runs at lower fps than a card with only shader 2.0 enabled.

Really this should not be happening there has been a improvement with his wow fps but cod fps is still very low.

Would the PSU maybe cause this problem. This PC he got is a budget pc although it is a reasonable spec its a Gateway GM spec.

Please help me!

Thank you anyways

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What is the max wattage and how many amps are on the +12v rail of the PSU? You should be able to find that information on the side of the unit ( the power supply, not the computer ).

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
actually it makes sense that the "faster" card is running slower. For example if you let the game set itself to "optimum" settings. Chances are it will turn on as much eye candy as it able to.

I see two directions developing here. One is about the power supply (valid direction). The other concerns what operating system and whether or not he is running the latest graphic drivers. Also is this system agp or pci-express?

Ashbash123

Ashbash123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
300watt psu is in the system. Here a link to the system spec http://support.gatew...13940Rcl3.shtml
Nothing has changed since he has bought the machine except the new gfx card.

The motherboard a PCI-express board.

I really cannot see what is causing the lag, also he is running Media center edition of xp.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The power supply is something that is often overlooked when upgrading to a new video card. 300 watts is not enough juice to run the the x1550 pro. The card requires a 400 watt PSU. I recommend going no less than 500w. If you need help picking out a new one we would be more than happy to help.

Ashbash123

Ashbash123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah, if you know a decent one i could buy around no more than the 50 quid mark i would be much happy, i dont know what pin it is on his motherboard, i was wondering if you could find it out, or give me a link to a decent one. I think his ram is pretty basic too.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That was a fairly hard budget to meet but I was able to come up with two high quality PSUs for that price.

http://www.overclock...rodid=CA-087-AN

http://www.overclock.......&subcat=148

Ashbash123

Ashbash123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well once again we try another solution and it fails, no improvement in FPS whatsoever with a 600 Watt OCZ power supply. If someone could suggest something without money it would be greatly appreicated as now my friend has spent over £110 quid.

One thing it could be i was thinking would cod2 be able to support duel core fully?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The power supply was needed whether it raised your game performance or not. Running a 1550pro with that low ammount of power would have damaged the card over time.

Have you tried tweaking the settings like Starjax suggested?

As of now there is no games that utilize multi threading in order to take full advantage of dual cores. Most games do run better on a dual core CPU but then again, some don't.

What are the other specs on the computer? Here is our preferred method for posting your specs: http://www.geekstogo...ecs-t88893.html.

Is he running an A/V such as Norton or McAfee while trying to game?

Edited by Titan8990, 30 October 2007 - 01:11 PM.