Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error signature: BCCode

• Please log in to reply

nancy1226

nancy1226

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been experiencing frequent "Blue Screen" error messages when I am in the middle of a game (WOW) or just performing an ordinary task on my PC. The error signature is: BC Code: 100000d1 BCP1: 000E5B78 BCP2: 00000009 BCP3: 00000008 BCP4: 000E5B78 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP:2_0 Product: 256_1
Or BCCODE: 100000d1 BCP1: 00120014 BCP2:00000002 BCP3: 00000000 BCP4: B9F327D5 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product 256_1
(It differs slightly each time it happens.) It is occurring more and more frequently. I tried a Restore, which I've never needed to do before (this is my first experience with any problem with this computer, a Dell XPS, running WinXP, only 18mos old.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We want to run the offline crash diagnostics to get a quick snapshot at what could possibly be the problem with you getting Blue screen error messages.

First we want to download the offline crash diagnostic. You can obtain that here
Now we want to Run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool
After you save the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file, follow these steps:

1. Double-click the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file to install the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
The installer adds the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool files to the %Windir%\Pchealth\Helpctr\Binaries folder.
2. Click Start, click Run, type ocadiagnostic.exe ,and then click OK to run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
3. Agree to let the tool send information to Microsoft. Then, click Next.
The tool performs the following tasks:

• The tool determines the number of dump files on the computer.
• The tool finds any dump files that are located in the %Windir%\Minidump folder. You can choose to send all the dump files, or you can choose to send individual dump files.
Note The last 10 dump files to be created are collected. Dump files are not collected if they are more than one year old.
• The tool automatically sends the dump files to the Office Crash Diagnostic Microsoft database Web site for analysis.
• The tool downloads the response URLs.
• The tool displays the response IDs. The tool also provides hyperlinks to the Office Crash Diagnostic Web site.

Go ahead and report back the Response IDS with your next post.

nancy1226

nancy1226

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I followed your instructions to run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
The Web Response ID #s: 79 & 685

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Blue screen error messages are one of the most misunderstood error messages out there in regards to windows.According to Microsoft, only 5-20% of these errors are actually caused by the OS. Only 10% are hardware related. The other 70% are the result of faulty drivers or software incompatibility. Based on those numbers, less than 15% of blue screen errors can be permanently resolved with an OS reinstall.

So we can correctly solve this issue we need to get the minidumps.

To get the Minidumps do the following

1 > Create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like.
2 > Navigate to %systemroot%\minidump You can paste that address in address bar to get there. Then copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date.
3 > Close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > Use the "add reply" option upload that zip file here as an attachment.

nancy1226

nancy1226

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Attached File  dumpcheck.zip   151.93KB   635 downloads

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I show that you have a Nvidia Graphics Card. They are notorious for causing blue screens what driver version are you running? Go to http://support.dell.com and make sure you are using the most up to date video drivers.

I also show you have a Creative Soundblaster Card What is the version of those drivers?
And WOW also showed up in one of your memory dumps. Do you have any addons to your WOW interface?

I show that you have been getting blue screens less frequently between the 15th and the 20th. Have you used your computer less or used a program less?

What changes were made to your computer before the 11th?

Edited by tuxmaster, 27 October 2007 - 02:19 AM.

nancy1226

nancy1226

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
To answer your questions as best I can:
!. The NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD that was installed w my computer is a 256MB Nvidia GeForce 6800 Graphics card. It has not been updated. If it should be how do I do that? When I went to the Dell support site and looked it up it was unclear as to what I should do. There were several other versions listed, but when I clicked on my version, it didn't say anything about an update, just Download this version.
2. Soundblaster Card: Is this the X-Fi PCI Sound Card that is listed in my original invoice?
3. Add-ons to WOW interface?: Yes...lots. My son has been playing it since the game came out and spends hours playing it when he visits me (I do not play). This is when the majority of the "Blue Screens" occur.
4. The blue screen incidents may appear less between the 15th and 20th, but that is only because I only downloaded "a few" as you requested, not all of them. The crashes, according to the log, actually started 10/07/07 and there have been 11 of them between that date and now (2 on 10/07; 5 on 10/11; 1 on 10/13; 1 on 10/15; 1 on 10/20; and the latest 10/25.
5. Any changes that I have made since this problem started (programs, etc) I have deleted. I also did a "restore".

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Blue screens are one of the most difficult problems to troubleshoot in computers.

Lets first get your latest Video drivers as they are a common cause of blue screens.
  • Go to http://www.support.dell.com
  • Click on Drives and downloads.
  • Click on enter service tag.
  • Put in your service tag.
  • Click the + next to video.
  • Locate your card click download.
  • Note the date of the update.
  • Install.
Post back with the date of the update and the date your system was purchased.
Also could you list the changes to the system that you made that you undid.
Now go play WOW for about a hour or so. If you get a blue screen you can stop playing.

Also when the computer gets a blue screen it will state beginning memory dump wait until that completes before restarting your system.

Edited by tuxmaster, 29 October 2007 - 02:34 AM.