Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

combo upgrade

• Please log in to reply

clyde

clyde

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
:tazz: Gentlemen,
I think I want to upgrade my system all by myself, with your help of course. My question is can I just by a motherboard cpu combo(AMD 64 3200?) and restart my computer? I read on MS site that I need to put in the XP disc click upgrade shut down and the install the new hardware. According to what I read XP should be able to see the changes and adjust accordingly. Does all this seem right or am I nuts for even trying. Thanks in advance.
Hugs,
Clyde

This is my current system:
Number Of Processors : 1
Type : Intel Pentium III EB 1000 MHz
Processors Bus Speed : 133 MHz
Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
Model : D815EEA Rev. AAA10383-404
CPU Slot/Socket Type : Socket 370 FC-PGA
Chipset Vendor : Intel i815/E/EP Rev. A2
Bios Manufacturer : Intel Corp.
Bios Version : A06
P.S. The point of all this is to do quite a bit of video editing

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you're buying a mobo/cpu package, you need to make sure that your RAM is supported, and also the graphics card (assuming its agp).

In regards to the RAM, in particular, you need to be aware of whether the new board supports dual channel & if so, whether you are planning to use it. (Ram sticks in dual channel mode must be identical in size & preferably identical in every other way also, if you want to be sure of it working)

Support for your existing drives shouldn't be an issue unless the new board is sata & your hard drives are pata. This doesn't mean that you can't use your old drive, it just means you won't get the benefit of sata.

As far as just booting up the old drive into XP on the new system is concerned, it should be OK in theory but you may also find its not very stable. Try it & see. But definately back up all your data first just in case you need to do a fresh install of XP

And by the way, I'm not a gentleman, I happen to be female!

clyde

clyde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:tazz:
Samm,
Talk about ingrained sexist stereo types! My sincerest apologies. I won't be so assuming again.
Thx for the input, though. I don't believe any of my hardware is going to be an issue. It is all relatively new which is why I just want to upgrade the mobo/cpu.
I suppose it will fit in the tower(I hope, I hope, I hope)
kisses,
Clyde.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Apology accepted!

What sort of tower have you got?

clyde

clyde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:tazz:
Dell Dimension 4100 is what the original package was. My guess would be everything will fit just fine, but geez. After listening to some of the posts in this topic I a little skeerd. Maybe I might just be better off buying a bare bones system.
I really do want to learn, though.
Clyde
P.S. Congrats on that whole Charles-Camilla thing. Was the wedding fun? Did you bring a gift or just give a couple of dollars in a card?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hardly, what do you give somebody who owns Cornwall, as a wedding present?!

You may have problems if you are using a Dell case. I know a lot of Dells use proprietry cases that won't fit non-Dell systems. You'll just have to try it & see.

clyde

clyde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hedge clippers?

Right then. So I now I'm in for a mobo/cpu/ddram/case/thingy/and doohicky. And I'm doing this for what again?
clyde

Clutch13

Clutch13

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I used to have that computer b4 i bought a new heres what i would buy
1) Intel Pentium 4 with ht combo (Comes with MObo/Cpu) (better than amd)
2)A Decent Video Card (Nvida or Ati)
3)Any ATx Computer Case
4)Power supply unit of 450w(replace the psu in the atx case if not enough psu)
5)Two sticks of 256 ram

p.s iF u want to learn really bad than i suggest u build it instead if ur not shure how to build it just buy a barebone system i suggest www.dealsdepot.com

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

And I'm doing this for what again?
clyde

View Post

I've no idea!

Nice idea about the hedge clippers though. I don't know about the rest of the royals, but I think the Queen bought Camilla a chauffer driven limo & a trip to Paris

clyde

clyde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Now, now Samm,
Do I detect a smidgeon of animosity on your part. I'm sure Cami could drive herself.

Thanks everybody. I'll let you all know how it turns out after Uncle Sam(one M) sends me back my own money.
Clyde

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Good luck!