Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scientists unravel health benefits of garlic: study

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Much of the research into the pharmacological benefits of garlic has focused on the organic polysulphides that the clove is rich in -- the best known of which is Allicin.

But the new research suggests that Allicin and similar biologically active compounds are only a piece of the puzzle, and that it's the chemical messenger that is produced when these compounds are metabolized that is important.

In laboratory tests, the researchers at the University of Alabama found that it was this chemical messenger -- hydrogen sulphide (H2S) -- which is essential at low levels for cellular signaling, that appears to relax blood vessels, enhancing blood flow.

The finding may explain why some studies showed there were no cardiovascular benefits to be gained from taking garlic supplements while many others showed that such supplements could halt the progress of cardiovascular disease, the authors said.

"In addition, our results suggest that the capacity to produce H2S can be used to standardize garlic dietary supplements," the authors wrote.

http://uk.news.yahoo...-0b0437e_1.html

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Mmmm... garlic... wait, I'll be right back :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I like cheese and garlic grilled on toast... Yummy! :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Ah, garlic is good, but not when it comes to bad breath :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Eww... cheese... mmm... garlic. I like my garlic in my soy sauce with onions and wasabi, and I dip steamed (?) beef in it. It's good :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Give me a plateful of Italian Pasta with freshly cut mushrooms with a tiny bit of white wine and I'd easily pass meat :)

Edited by landlord, 16 October 2007 - 06:23 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Give me a plateful of Italian Pasta with freshly cut mushrooms with a tiny bit of white wine and I'd easily pass lots of meat :)

Fixed!

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Hehe, unfortunately I am not a fan of meat in my pasta :) I'd rather have it with some cheese :)