Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply

20nani

20nani

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer won't boot, not even in safe mode when i turn it on. Its a HP Pavillion 8665C, haven't been having any problems with it. Don't know based on the error message if its a problem with my CD-ROM drive or Mcafee. I don't even have Mcafee enabled any longer (it may even have been uninstalled) cause I have my virus protection thru netzero now. This is the message i get when i turn the computer on. Any suggestions? I've been told my hard drive may be toast and i need a new one. I haven't tried the recovery disk yet cause I don't want to lose all my stuff.

This driver is provded by OAK TECHNOLOGY, Inc..
OTI-91X ATAPI CD-ROM device driver, Rev D91XV352
©Copyright Oak Technology Inc. 1987-1997
Device name : IDECD000
Transfer Mode : Programmd I/O
Number of drives : 2

C:\>C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1\SCAN.EXE C:\
Bad command or file name
Bad command or file name
VMM32.VXD is required to run Windows.
If this file is not in your PATH, you may need to reinstall Windows.

C:\>

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you can find out the brand of your hard drive you can download a diagnostic program to a floppy and run it to check the drive. You may also find one at the HP web site. If the drive checks OK you may only need to install the file mentioned in the error report, but it will need to be done in DOS mode with a floppy or CD if you can't boot windows. You may also be able to do a repair if you still have the installation disk without wiping out your files or programs. It will just replace the Windows system files. Unfortunately you can't get updates for '98 any more.

20nani

20nani

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you i will give it a shot.