Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC crashes randomly - driver conflict?

• Please log in to reply

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi,

I've been having a problem with my PC in the last few months. It restarts randomly approx twice a day. I've had this problem once before but thought it was resolved (program conflict, but now has resurfaced).

Since behaviour is exactly the same as the first time I had the problem, I'm pretty sure its a program conflict again. I've got a minidump if someone could please offer to help me read it and root out the causing conflict?? (if so, where should I post it...here?)

Thanks so much!

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello domyue

I certainly can help you with that. First lets try the easy method for reading those minidumps If we need to we will read them manualy.

We want to run the offline crash diagnostics to get a quick snapshot at what could possibly be the problem with you getting Blue screen error messages.

First we want to download the offline crash diagnostic. You can obtain that here
Now we want to Run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool
After you save the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file, follow these steps:

1. Double-click the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file to install the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
The installer adds the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool files to the %Windir%\Pchealth\Helpctr\Binaries folder.
2. Click Start, click Run, type ocadiagnostic.exe ,and then click OK to run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
3. Agree to let the tool send information to Microsoft. Then, click Next.
The tool performs the following tasks:

• The tool determines the number of dump files on the computer.
• The tool finds any dump files that are located in the %Windir%\Minidump folder. You can choose to send all the dump files, or you can choose to send individual dump files.
Note The last 10 dump files to be created are collected. Dump files are not collected if they are more than one year old.
• The tool automatically sends the dump files to the Office Crash Diagnostic Microsoft database Web site for analysis.
• The tool downloads the response URLs.
• The tool displays the response IDs. The tool also provides hyperlinks to the Office Crash Diagnostic Web site.

Go ahead and report back the Responce ID'S with your next post.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi, sorry for the wait, was a little busy.

The Response ID were 571 and 10 (I sent 5 dumps and 4 of them were 571 and the remainder was 10)

So apparently one driver error and five hardware errors. I've checked my disks thoroughly using seagate's disk tool (both my harddrives completely healthy) and also tested my RAM using memtest (7 passes - all no errors).

What could the driver error be??

And what could the other hardware error be as well??

Thanks for your help!

Edited by domyue, 20 October 2007 - 07:03 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What are you usually doing when you get those errors?

I would like to take a look at your system Logs.
1 Create a new folder on the desktop and call it "Eventlogs" or whatever you like
1. Go to Start Run type in eventvwr.msc
2. Right click on system Click on save Log File As and save it to that folder you created.
3 close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 use the "Manage attachments" Under "Advanced Options" option upload that zip file here as an attachment.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Here it is!!

Edited by domyue, 25 October 2007 - 11:01 AM.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
It seems like something to do with my graphics...so maybe thats the generic hardware error...but still confused about the driver conflict that it seems to log.

Edited by domyue, 21 October 2007 - 11:08 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I was unable to see because the log is no longer posted? If it pointed to a video card I would try reinstalling your video card.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I installed a different video card - (then had a comodo driver error during a game subsequently). But after it restarted, no further crashes thus far. Will post again later to update you guys.

Thanks so far