Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player 11

• Please log in to reply

tricoven

tricoven

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi guys, I recently upgraded from WMP10 to WMP11 but in either versions, my videos (that once worked before a reformat), do not anymore. I can still hear the sound and all, but there's no video appearing. I don't know what prob is this, because I thought upgrading the application might fix this but it's still there. I really don't want convert it everytime I download something. I usually just convert them to MPEG for them to work when they are of the same format in the first place.

I really don't know what to do or the source of this problem. It's just that my old videos stopped working properly. Anyone know how to fix this?

When I open a video: it always say acquiring codec. In my WMP10, it will say error downloading codec. In WMP11, it says codec acquired, but still there's no video coming out.

P.S. I really don't know where to put this thread, so please bear with me and free to move it to the appropriate section. Thanks!!!

Edited by tricoven, 17 October 2007 - 05:48 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I am figuring that you are trying to open files that end in .avi. With that in mind, you are probably missing the xvid codec. Now instead of downloading that codec (which you can do if you want to, I just don't recommend it), I suggest that you download VLC Media Player. It has it's own built-in codecs that it uses and plays everything I need. I love it and I'm sure you will too! :)

Fenor

*NOTE* -- I just want to point out that VLC is free. :)

Edited by Fenor, 17 October 2007 - 02:24 PM.