Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast Found 2 Trojans

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi

I recently installed a new hard drive, and also installed Xp Pro. Since then Ive had a problem when typing, the cursor occasionally jumps to a different point in the text. Sometimes the window closes and I have to re-open it. Ive tried various forums and though some people have had this problem there doesnt seem to be a successful solution to it. It happens mostly in Outlook Express, although also when writing to forums. its not the mouse, its the text cursor. T ... (now just as i was about to type "The" the cursor jumped up to the google search box!) The mouse behaves perfectly.

Now I dont know if it is a seperate problem, or connected, but Ive just scanned with Avast! and it has found 2 trojans. They are listed as:

C\SWSetup\SP36684A\Setup.exe its Win32: Trojan-gen (VC)

C\System Volume Information\_restore{628F1030-7003-4AC7-86B9....}\A0002135.exe same Win32 Trojan-gen

So have I one or two issues!??

Can you tell me what the trojans are, how I might have got them etc. I have moved them to the chest, should I delete them?

Also Avast puzzles me. It doesnt scan automatically, yet you are supposedly protected all the time. If so how did it miss these 2 trojans? When I had Norton it used to scan everyday as far as I know. Finally, its a laptop, 2 gig ram. XP Pro, Im using Avast, Spyware Blaster, Adaware, and Zone Alarm.

Zone Alarm did find this last week:

Generic host process for Win32 services is trying to act as a server.... It seemed to think it was a threat.

Sorry for my ignorance in these matters,
Thanks

h

Advertisements