Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Securing wirelss network

• Please log in to reply

stipower

stipower

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I have a DI-624 i just reset it and changed the password, it says its a unsecure wireless network there a way i can make it secure so my neighbours or other people cant steal my internet?

thanks guys!

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Make sure you have the WEP security option enabled and change the network name of the router. Details and instructions below.

Enable WEP
Enabling WEP* (Wired Equivalent Privacy) will require anyone wishing to access the Internet through your wireless network to enter a password. After the correct password is entered, a connection is established, and all data sent from the D-Link to the computer and back is encrypted. From the D-Link configuration screen:

1. Click the "Home" tab.
2. Click the "Wireless" button.
3. Choose "WEP" from the dropdown menu for "Security".
4. Click the "Open System" button next to "Authentication".
5. Set the "WEP Encryption" to "128 bit".
6. Set the "Key Type" to "ASCII".
7. Type a 13 digit password into "Key 1".
8. Click "Apply".
9. When you connect to your wireless network from a computer, you will need to enter the 13 digit password.
*Note: If your computer's operating system supports it, enabling WPA-PSK is more secure than WEP. The steps above can be modified to set up WPA-PSK.

Change the SSID
By default, the D-Link is set to advertise the existence of your wireless network to computers. It does this by broadcasting an SSID (Service Set Identifier), also called a "network name" because it identifies your wireless network. Changing the SSID makes it easier for you to distinguish your network from surrounding networks. From the D-Link configuration screen:

1. Click the "Home" tab.
2. Click the "Wireless" button.
3. Change the "SSID" from "default" to an SSID of your choice.
4. Click "Apply".

Hope this helps.

Edited by kamille316, 17 October 2007 - 02:02 PM.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
done! thanks

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

done! thanks

Your welcome.