Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Satellite Boot Error

• Please log in to reply

isley87

isley87

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey! Definitely not really computer savvy so any suggestions are appreciated.

Just a few days ago I was on my laptop with no problem. Suddenly it made this weird noise and shut down instantly. Now whenever I've attempted to turn it back on the following message appears and repeats itself over and over again:

For Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C)/RTL8130 PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.12 (010425)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

I've tried pressing F2 and disabling the Network Boot (i.e put an exclamation mark next to it), I've tried rearranging the order of boot devices, I've changed F8 to start up in safe mode, as well as trying ESC & F5 and to no avail. I'm running out of options and just hope that someone can help in any way. I work from my computer daily so this major setback is becoming more and more frustrating as the days pass by.

HOPELESSLY LOST,
isley87 :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi isley87...

What kind of noise?

Usually, a PXE error means the machine cannot find it's boot instructions in any drive and has looked for a network boot. The most likely cause of this is Hard Drive Failure and noises just before a system crash is not a good sign.

Have you tried booting the machine using an XP cd?

wannabe1

crabbs

crabbs

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi isley87...

What kind of noise?

Usually, a PXE error means the machine cannot find it's boot instructions in any drive and has looked for a network boot. The most likely cause of this is Hard Drive Failure and noises just before a system crash is not a good sign.

Have you tried booting the machine using an XP cd?

wannabe1

What do you mean not a good sign? can it be repaired? Robert

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If it sounded like any of the noises found HERE...probably not.

crabbs

crabbs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Y, with the reload disk that came with the computer, I don't know of a noise I didn't acurr this untill the next day when I tryed turning the computer on.