Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

move /create programs file folder on xp sp2

• Please log in to reply

radler46

radler46

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:) HI ALL,

I want to move some of my programs installed on disk C (or maybe most, except office e.g) to disk D. (my D is storing mainly my personal data like office documents and spreadsheets, pictures videos and music etc. C has the system on)
my question is :can I just create a regular "programs files folder" on disk D, where I can install new programs and/or move there already installed programs (by un/re install e.g., or by using application mover software)? or should I take any actions concerning disk D or that folder before?

I ask that question because I made a trial and un/re installed a small cleaning program. Surprisingly, although I instructed that program in the setup to reside in the D/PF folder it resided straight under D. could it be that it is only for that program? Although the program worked fine I wouldn't want all the programs to be straight under D when I move/un-re install them.

I could continue making experiments but I wonder and appreciate if somebody can give me more information on that issue before I continue.

intel p4 3.0
via pm800-8237
Pheonix 6.00 pg
768 MB, 80GB
WXP SP2
2 partitions C-25,D-55 MB

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You can't move an installed program from it's original directory. You can however install a program in any dir you would like.

You will need to un/reinstall any programs you are looking to move.

radler46

radler46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Titan for your answer,

but...do you see any reason why that program which I mentioned "refuses" to be installed in D/Programs Files path, but rather straight under D?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I just want to make sure I understand correctly. You created a folder in your D partition and named it "PF" or "Program Files". When you go to install you select that folder but it puts it up one directory in the D:\ ( no folder )?

radler46

radler46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes, exactly.

Instead of: D:\Program Files\ABC...

It would become: D:\ABC...

And that is what I cannot understand why.

I should try again for more 2 or 3 other programs and see if it consistent, but I would like to know before I do that if you got any idea.

Thank You.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Honestly I really don't know. If I had to guess I would try renaming the folder "program files" something else like just programs.

radler46

radler46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Titan8990

well, after some more time I spent, I succeeded to solve the problem which actually arouse because I had made a foolish definition of the folder. Anyway, it works o.k. as it should have been from the very beginning.
I appreciate your willingness to help

Thanks

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Glad you got it worked out :).