Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IF I buy this External Enclosure DO i Have to Configure it to RAID?

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Im looking to buy this item from new egg

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817716051

Would I Have to configure it to work with RAID, the HDs (both 500GIG) are already formatted to a TB with data I just want to put them in here to get them both back up and running. The old power supply died so I need a new case for 2 500 GIG hds

Im not really good with things like this

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You have left out information that is needed to see if this will work. First , it sounds like you have been using the 2 drives in another computer. Were they used in a Raid 0 configuration in that computer? Raid 0 is where the data is striped so it is necessary to have both drives to be able to use the data on the drives. If you had been using Raid 1 on the drive both drives would have the exact same data on them so you could just install one of the drives in your new computer to use the data on that drive.

So then, only if you had used the 2 drives in a Raid 0 configuration would you be able to use them in that drive enclosure. It states the configuration at that website.

Non-Configurable, JBOD: RAID 0 - Disk Spanning function

Installing the drives in that enclosure and not having them used in a Raid 0 config would probably cause you to lose all data on the drives, if you tried using them.

Personally, i cannot trust any mechanical device from experience, so i always put backups of any data i do not want to lose on CD's or DVD's. Yes, it would not matter to me if i had to use a 100 DVD's if the data was important enough for me.

SRX660

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Ok, heres what happened

I bought this 1TB External HArd drive http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822204018

And the power supply in it died + I dont hava warranty for it. So I Opened up the case an removed both hard drives because the entire power supply was damaged. And both hard drives were two 500 GIG Hard Drives, so I need a new case to get them back up an running. I have one of the hard drives installed in a single External case so I was able to get my data, but I need a case to get both back up and running an working together.
There already formated to a TB, and I have alot of data stored on there. I'm really not sure what Raid is and I don't think it was configured to it, because the hard drive just formated on its own I had started it up for the first time.

Edited by Charliee03, 19 October 2007 - 08:16 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please correct me if i am wrong. You say you used one of the drives in another computer and you were able to get to the data on the drive. If that is true then the 2 drives were run in RAID 1 mode ( exact same data put on both drives).

The new enclosure says in its spec's that it is in a NON-changeable RAID 0(Data is put on both drives in stripes without regard to which drive it is). In other words you will not be able to pull any data off a single drive in another computer as part of the data should be on the second hard drive. This tells me that you were running the 2 hard drives in a RAID 1 setup. Thus you will lose any data on the drives unless you move the data to another different drive in the computer, then after installing the drives into the new enclosure and hooking it up to the computer, move the data back onto the drives.

If you do not want to move the data off the 500G HD's then i would look for a enclosure that lets you choose what type of RAID system you want to run. The enclosure you are looking at uses JBOD( Just a Bunch Of Disks). Wikipedia has an definition of JBOD here.

http://en.wikipedia....ard_RAID_levels

Heres the different raid settings.

http://www.webopedia...ERM/R/RAID.html

From what you tell me i would look for a enclosure that allows you to run a RAID 1 system for your computer.

SRX660

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Please correct me if i am wrong. You say you used one of the drives in another computer and you were able to get to the data on the drive. If that is true then the 2 drives were run in RAID 1 mode ( exact same data put on both drives).

SRX660

Right now I have one of the hard drives running through a External case on the PC I'm on now. But that external case is for a different hard drive.
Ive never tried to hook up the other hard drive, so I'm not sure if both hard drives have the same exact data. If they do, your saying it was configured to RAID 1 ?