Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS update

• Please log in to reply

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I have been recommended to make a BIOS update, a while ago, and only just getting round to it. I have a packardbell pc, I have looked around the packardbell site, and there are alot of updates, and I read that if I update with the wrong option it may not be good. So how do I know which one I need to update with??

cheers jj.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
who recommended and why?

BIOS updates are only needed if A) they fix a problem you are having, or B), they add a feature you need.

You never need to update your bios if the two above situations do not apply.

Years ago, flashing your bios entailed some risk...that is less true to day, but it is still sound to only update if needed

woody1977

woody1977

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
(See post in HJT thread) my pc was running slowly, getting virtual memory running low messages all the time, so the missus cousin had a look at the pc and said to get some more RAM, and update the BIOS. I got more RAM, but after reading the site was a little put of the BIOS update, have stumbled across this site, and thought i would seek advise from experts, the cousin is doing a doctorate at the mo in computers, but still would rather have a secong opinion. After getting the RAM the pc picked up and everything was fine, but 4/5 days ago all of my programs started to run really slowly, (nero, dvd shrink etc...) I run spyware scans daily, ad-aware then spybot and microsoft beta is running all the time and runs a check evryday. I run a virus check once a week (Norton 2003) I keep all the windows updates up to date, and try to be as security conscious as I can, after doing all of this, the programs are still running slowly. So basically the question is what do I need to do about it all, do I need more RAM??, is there spyware on my pc??, do I update my BIOS??

Thanks in advance jj.

Edited by woody1977, 16 April 2005 - 10:23 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Bios will not improve your system speed. I say no need.

More ram? depends on how much you have.

Spyware...I would argue that 8 of 10 machines are infected so the odds are against you.

Please visit the forum in my signature and follow the instructions

woody1977

woody1977

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I only have 512 mb of RAM, I have a post in the malware HJT and have posted a log in there, but I know that is very busy in there so just waiting for someone to get back to me :tazz:

It's no biggie, cos the internet speed is still fine, but just drives me a bit crazy having to wait sometimes for upto 2 minutes for programs to pop up for me to use.

Cheers jj.