Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd harddrive and 2nd DVD writer

• Please log in to reply

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi,

I'm thinking of adding a second harddrive on my computer, preferably a 500GB SATA drive. I'm thinking of getting the Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS NCQ Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty or the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive I'm leaning on getting the Western Digital because I trust it more than Seagate (I have a WD external HD which hasn't failed yet) and found reviews for the Seagate as being noisy. (I don't really care about the warranty)

I will also buy the nGear SATA Serial ATA Hard Drive Data Cable 12 Inch 7 Pin W/ Locking Connectors. for the cable. Will this cable work for the above harddrive?

I would also like to add a second DVD-writer and saw this one on sale Samsung SH-S203B Black SATA DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 DL 18X/12X INT DVD Writer OEM W/ Vista SW . Is this a good quality? Would I need a SATA cable for this one?

Another question, I have a Dell Dimension E520 (with Core Duo) and it only has a 305 W PSU and wondering if this will support 2 SATA Harddrives and 2 SATA DVD-writers and an ATI X1600 Series Video Card (already have this)? I don't particularly want to buy another PSU because I'm on a tight budget (I'm going for a week holiday to Vegas this saturday :)) and would I need to add another fan? Which fan would you recommend?

Thanks for the help,
Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 18 October 2007 - 02:03 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi kamille316!

All of the components you are looking to add are OEM - this means they will come as is and without manuals, cables etc... So you will need to purchase a SATA cable for both the hard drive and the DVD Burner (which is SATA also).

I would strongly recommend upgrading the PSU as you are adding more components which will take more power. Unfortunately, 305W PSU is very small and your computer would possibly be using almost all of this up as it is. If you added the extra components and did not upgrade the power supply, it's possible you could fry something in your system, which could end up very expensive...

If you win any extra money in Vegas, could you send me some? :)

kamille316

kamille316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Thanks for the reply FPVDriF6.

I guess I'll just add the harddrive for now and then add the dvd-writer when I get the money to buy a PSU.
Winning money in Vegas is very slim for me since I don't gamble :)