Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SanDisk micro 512 autorun

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I have a SanDisk micro512MB flashdrive from which I uninstalled the U3 software (through the uninstaller on the U3 website).

I have all the autorun options (music files, pictures, video files, mixed content) set to "prompt me each time to choose an action" but as soon as I insert the drive it opens the flash drive folder to view files (even though the "open folder to view files" is not selected for any type of content).

Is there a way to fix this and bring back the prompt box?

Thanks.

Edited by CelestialTeardrop, 19 October 2007 - 06:46 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi CelestialTeardrop...

Run the Microsoft Autoplay Repair Tool on the machine. That will usually do the trick.

wannabe1

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hi Wannabe1, thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately AutoFix did not fix the issue. I was playing with the drive and noticed that if I have any picture files (.jpg or .bmp) on there, the prompt shows up. For all other files (Word, Excel, NotePad), the drive folder appears.

So this gave me an idea and I took another flash drive and removed all picture files from it. And another problem arose. For the second drive, neither a prompt nor a folder opened when there were no pictures, only the system tray icon saying a hardware device is plugged in.

So with a little more playing, I realized that the autoplay prompt only appears if pictures, music, or video files (or any combination of those which is considered "mixed content") are present. And in the autoplay options, those three (pictures, music and video) are the only file types for which options are available.

(According to my two flash drives tested on two computers) Autoplay does not recognize any other file types in flash drives and either opens the drive folder automatically or ignores the thing altogether (so the user has to go through My Computer to reach the drive).

If anyone out there reading this has a flash drive that gets the autorun prompt even if there are no music, picture, or video files on it, please post here about it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I finally had some time to sit down and play with this a little. It seems you are correct. I tried 3 flash drives on 3 operating systems with the came result. If there are any media files aboard, the autoplay prompt appears. No media files...no prompt and no way to make it prompt for the action. It would appear that this is by design and is normal...at least for XP Home, XP Pro, and Vista Ultimate.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Thanks so much for confirming that. If it's normal behavior, we'll have to accept it I suppose. ::sigh:: Gotta love Windows!