Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bootup problems thx to sp2

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i finishd another diy project a couple weeks ago. the o/s loaded fine, and i got all the updates fine, until i updated to sp2.

now while windows boots up it keeps resetting and starts over again so that it goes into this endless cycle

i remembered having a similar problem once due to a driver issue so i booted into safe mode and surfed thru the device manager but there doesnt seem to be any hardware conflict.

everything was fine prior to the sp2 install.

also ive reformated several times already, did all the updates, and driver install only to have this same problem again.

if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated

thx
kalian

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a UMAX scanner remove the driver, remove SP2 then reinstall SP2

If not look here

XP

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hi keith,
thx for offering your help

surprisingly it didnt work.the restart problem continues. T_T

i also tried to start up in safe mode with networking but for some reason it reboots when i try to do that as well.

im sure the gfx drivers arent a problem because i updated those after the last 2 reformats straight from the ati website.

would you or anyone else have any other suggestions? please let me know if you do. thx

Kalian

kms618kms

kms618kms

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
We had a problem to thanks to Microsoft's SP2.

Press the "F8" key...BUT DO NOT CLICK ON SAFE MODE. Click on "LastGood" and the system might start up. If you can log in to your account, do a system restore.

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
haha.
that was one of the first things that ive tried.
i cant even restore it, because i turned off system restore to clear out some bad registry files. i didnt turn it back on before sp2.

nonetheless that wouldnt solve my problem, because id be restored back to sp1, with no sp2 update T_T

thanks for the suggestion though. any help is greatly appreciated.

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
bah!! it endlessly reboots

T_T