Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP cant see my harddrive

• Please log in to reply

UKCamaroSS

UKCamaroSS

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

I have carried out a clean install of XP MCE today, however I am now unable to see my 2nd hard drive.

When I double click on My computer, it only shows one drive.

I had previously created a BackUp using the XP backup utility and could use the ASR (Auto System Recovery) from the installation CD..... but the backup is located on the drive that XP can't see... :)

How can I get XP to notice the second drive?

Thanks,

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Is the second drive actually a second physical hard disk fitted inside your PC, or was it merely a second partition on the same physical disk? If it was the latter, you may have deleted/overwritten that partition when you re-installed Windows, so now you only have one partition instead of the two you had before.

Edited by pip22, 21 October 2007 - 12:55 PM.

mitz

mitz

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Here are a few reasons...

You may have plugged in the hard drive wrong. The main hdd should be on master and the other on slave..If both are on master it will not find the second one....Change the jumper pins at the back of the hard drive. A diagram of where to put the pins should be on the hdd. You can put it to cable select if you have a compatiable cable.

If it is a new hdd the computer needs to be told a name for it..like g: drive...You can do this by going to Control panel>computer management>disk management. If it is not there it has been installed wrong..If it is there it will not show up in my computer until you name it.

UKCamaroSS

UKCamaroSS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Is the second drive actually a second physical hard disk fitted inside your PC, or was it merely a second partition on the same physical disk? If it was the latter, you may have deleted/overwritten that partition when you re-installed Windows, so now you only have one partition instead of the two you had before.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The 2nd hard drive is actually 2 physical SATA drives configured in a RAID 0 setup.

All the drives are the same ones that were in the system prior to the XP re-install. My BIOS see's all the drives. The XP install disk asked (after I loaded the SATA / RAID drivers) which drive I wanted to install XP on, so the install disk saw all drives.
My computer, properties, hardware, device manager shows all drives.
Start, Control panel, administrative tools, Computer Management, Disk Management shows both -- but the RAID drive is shown as Unallocated space.
Double clicking My Computer only shows 1 drive (C:)...

The stuff on the RAID drive is my personal phot's etc, so I don't want to reformat it...

Any idea's?

Thanks,